Chapter 4

Twelve Years Earlier: 1993

"Smile at me again and I'll knock your teeth out." I threatened as I pulled my books out of my locker as Aaron did his best to torment me. And by torment, I meant to be his usual gorgeous, charismatic self.

"Geez, Betty. Someone sure woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Dreaming about me again, were you?" Aaron asked, leaning against the locker as I looked up at him in disbelief.

He wore the infamous yellow and blue letterman jacket with his name embroidered on his bicep. His number patched on his chest along with our school name. Aaron's long disheveled dark blonde hair sat messily covering his forehead. It was ridiculous how effortlessly attractive he always looked.

"Sure, because I just fantasize about you constantly." I began as I looked away trying not to get sucked into his mesmerizing features. "My mind is consumed by the thought of you. How on earth do I manage to get anything done?" I replied sarcastically, slamming my locker.

But there was a hint of reality in my words that I struggled to suppress. "I knew it." Aaron joked through a grin making me roll my eyes adjusting my glasses. God, that smile.

Seemed like every time I saw him he had that doofus grin spread across his face. He was the happiest person I knew and it was exhausting seeing him so carefree about life.

"It must be exhausting being so angry all the time." Aaron said, making me look up at him with furrowed eyebrows. "On the contrary it's awfully liberating."

"What about you? It must be so exhausting being the coolest guy in school. When do you ever find the time to throw balls around a field like idiots with Alex and Dave?" I retorted with an innocent fake smile.

"Just one ball, Betty. I thought you were the smart one in this conversation?" He replied, making me tense my jaw. "I am. And that will never change." I huffed looking everywhere but him.

"And thats exactly the reason why you will never find a boyfriend." Aaron continued making my chest ache at his words. Because deep down I knew he was right. "Why because I have a brain?" I laughed off the hurt.

"Sorry I'm not like all the other girls who dote over you, twirling the ends of their bleach blonde hair giggling." I smiled bitterly as I copied my words, fidgeting with the ends of my dark brown hair. Aaron watched my every move with a smile.

He never seemed to be affected of the cruel, angry things I constantly said nor did he ever seem to make them seriously.

"Sorry I have opinions of my own about topics other than sports. Other than the fact that they're completely rudimentary." I scoffed, shoving my books in my bag hanging over my shoulder.

"Careful people are going to start thinking you don't like sports. In a town like this that's social suicide." Aaron replied sarcastically. "Too late." I smiled before a tall blonde rushed up to him, almost knocking me back.

"Hey, baby." The girl purred, making me stumble backwards as she hung all over him as they made out.

"Gross." I muttered walking away as the bell rang. Shuffling into my science class as everyone sat down chatting with their friends as I kept to myself. "You know they invented this thing called a hair brush? Maybe you should invest in one, Bethany." Gillian's southern accent purred innocently as she turned around in her chair to face me.

Her strawberry blonde hair was held high in a ponytail as she wore the schools tight, revealing cheerleading uniform. All the girls who wore one were automatically considered popular and dated their pick of the litter. Which of course was Aaron if he happened to be single or any other attractive athlete.