Chapter 22

Ten Years Earlier: 1995

"I hope you know what you're getting yourself into. I expect big things from you tomorrow." Connie said as we walked outside around school as I clutched my books to my chest protectively.

"You don't need to worry. It's going to be great. I have everything under control." I smiled weakly as I tried to find Aaron amongst the crowds. "It's my eighteenth birthday, Beth! It has to be more than great." She expressed worried with wide eyes.

"It's bad enough I have to share it with that doofus." She groaned, motioning to Aaron. Turning my head to see him laughing with his friends and a few cheerleaders circled around him as he sat at the lunch table.

His handsome face shined under the bright summer sunshine illuminating his breathtaking smile. God, why did he have to be so stupid yet so cute? It was just cruel to be so in love with Aaron when we were so completely different. Not to mention he clearly didn't pay me a second thought.

"You know Mom and Dad insist on sharing our birthday party! This is the most iconic moment of my life and I have to share it with him. I wanted something special with you and my friends. And I just know he's going to ruin this for me. He will probably have some outrageous party and trash our house. Again." She continued.

"But imagine all the presents you will get from all the people you both will invite. That's practically double the amount of gifts!" Susanna beamed enthusiastically. "...True!" Connie giggled as I was mentally miles away from their continuing conversation.

Aaron finally noticed me staring from a distance making me quickly turn away as I bumped into someone.

"God! Watch where you're going, freak." Gillian scoffed, moving away from me in disgust. "Sorry." I muttered kneeling down to pick up my books that fell at our feet.

"Pay more attention where you're going, Bitter Beth. Isn't that the point of those awful glasses? Actually everything you own is a crime against fashion." Gillian said as a few of her friends around her laughed. She kicked a book I tried to reach, making me scoff.

"Don't call me that." I demanded as I stood with my things and my head held high. "You're right. When Bitchy Bethany is so much more accurate." Gillian grinned as she moved her perfectly curled hair away from her face.

"Knock it off, Gilly." Connie groaned unamused by her friend's attempt to get under my skin. "She didn't mean to run into you. Just leave us alone." Susanna said, trying to muster up the courage to speak to her.

"Is that what this is about? Did I mistakenly take the title away from you? Don't worry you're still the bitchiest girl in all of Sunnyfeild and that will never change." I replied ignoring my friends trying to defuse the situation. I gave her a smug smile making her scoff, raking me up and down.

"What's going on, babe?" Aaron's deep voice came up behind me. My lips parted watching him rake his arm around Gillian's shoulders, her eyes still trained on me.

My heart ached watching Aaron pull Gillian close to him affectionately as he looked down at me with masked emotions.

"Nothing worth any more of my time. Next time think twice before getting in my way, Four Eyes." She said as they all walked away from us. "Four Eyes? Original." I laughed coldly ignoring the piercing pain I felt watching Aaron kiss Gillian as she roamed her manicured hands all over him.

"I can't believe he's dating her. She's so fake and completely unbearable to be around. Did I tell you she invited him to meet her parents the other night? She wouldn't stop talking about it." Connie said as I forced my eyes away from them as we continued to walk to our usual spot.