Ch. 8: Worrisome

Back at the Noceda household, Amity was helping Camila with the dishes.

She's been very nervous lately, she knew Luz was acting different. But she didn't know why and she was too nervous to ask because it might upset Luz.

She wishes there was a way to help.

"Maybe I can take her out on a date and ask if she's alright." Amity muttered to herself.

"What did you say, Amity?" Camila asked her.

"Just... thinking out loud." Amity replied.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Camila asked her.

Slowly nodded, Amity turned to Camila.

"I'm worried about Luz." She said.

"How do?" Camila asked, using some paper towels to dry her hands.

"She's just been acting different over the past few days. Like she's hiding something." Amity said.

"That might just be due to the traumatizing experience you've all been through." Camila said.

"I know but even so, Luz should know that she can be honest with me and the rest of us. She can trust us." Amity said before looking in the window at her own reflection to see her worry. "Right?"

"Of course she does, some people just have a hard time opening up." Camila explained.

"I understand that more than anyone but...I thought Luz and I moved past that." Amity said sadly.

"Well don't worry, after some time to readjust to everything, I'm sure she'll tell you everything." Camila said, patting Amity's shoulder.

'Yeah, I hope so.' Amity thought, going back to finishing the dishes in her end.

"Why don't you see what the others are up to?" Camila asked.

Nodding to Camila, Amity went towards the den where everyone but Luz was watching the local news.

"Anything new?" Amity asked.

"You're not going to believe this." Hunter said, pointing to the tv.

"We are here in the forest around our fair city, where it appears that some sort of battle was held as various trees are destroyed and the ground is scorched." A news woman said.

Amity's eyes widened. She didn't think many things in the human realm could do that.

'It looks like a Slitherbeast was fighting a horde of fire bees!' Amity thought.

Everyone thought something along the same lines as the news team looked closer at the damage to the trees. There was also... blood... lots and lots of blood.

So much blood, nobody bothered to ask if it was human or animal blood. Just.....Just blood.

The news crew was shocked. There was enough blood to fill the veins of several elephants.

"I can't say for certain, but whatever happened here and to whatever possible poor creature or person, I can safely say it was NOT pretty. I would advise that everyone be VERY careful and be sure to look your doors at night. Back to you, Mary." The news woman said.

Everyone stared with wide eyed. None of them had any idea what was capable of that, even in the Boiling Isles.

'What is going on here? Luz always said this town was boring and magicless.' Amity thought.

"Guys, I think we need to be more cautious when we go to the cabin." Hunter said.

"Agreed." Everyone said before Vee looked around.

"Hey, has anyone seen Luz?" She asked.

"She said she was going to the store for something." Gus said.

"How long was that?" Amity asked.

"About..." Gus said before counting with his fingers. "9 hours ago."

"9 HOURS?!" Amity screamed!

"She's been gone that long?" Willow asked, very surprised by this.

Right as they said that, Luz arrived through the front door.

"I'm back! Sorry I took so long!" Luz shouted for everyone in the house. "You would not believe the day I've had!"

"Where you've been gone 9 hours?!" Amity shouted, rushing to her in worry.

"... I was just doing stuff." Luz lied.

"For nine hours?" Amity asked, crossing her arms.

"Yeah, I went to the library after going to the store. I couldn't find what I was looking for at the story by the way. Spent hours looking for it." Luz said, "explaining" herself. "Like I said, it's been a bit of a weird day."

"What exactly did you try to find at the store before going to the library?" Hunter asked her.

"Just my favorite shampoo brand but they were out." Luz lied.

'Shampoo, really?' Yamato asked.

'Shut up! I'm not a good liar, okay?' Luz thought.

'Another thing we must work on.' Yamato said to her.

"What did find at the library?" Gus asked, joining the convention.

"I just tried to find something one magic like usual but I most found mythology books and some old history books." Luz said, lying again.

"Mythology? What that?" Gus asked.

"That's a long story. Like a REALLY long story." Luz said, being truthful.

"We've got time. The news is just reporting on some possible rampage in the first by something." Hunter said before turning down the volume.

"What?!" Luz asked, pretending to be shocked, "That's not good, does anyone know what caused it?!"

"No. The news suspects it was two big wild animals fighting or someone fighting a giant wild animal." Gus said.

"But that's crazy, who could hunt and kill a wild animal that big?" Hunter asked.

'Quick, deceive them with a fact.' Yamato said.

"Big game hunters." Luz said, quickly as everyone turns to her. "Don't you guys have those in the demon realm?"

"Well, what are they exactly?" Gus asked.

"They're people that hunt rare animals to sell or keep as trophies." Luz explained to them.

'Kind of like how those demon hunter nomads work now that I think of it.' Luz thought.

"They're somewhat better than poachers... SOMEWHAT, as at least they follow the laws." Luz said, waving her hand in the air.

'When you have power and influence, rules mean nothing.' Yamato said.

'Hush you.' Luz thought.

"I guess that's something our worlds have in common. Ruthless people that will do anything for a quick buck." Willow said.

"I never liked demon hunters to begin with. Now I don't like human game hunters either." Gus said, crossing his arms.

Thankfully, they took their attention off Luz. All but Amity as she still glanced at Luz in worry.

What was she hiding and why didn't she tell them yet?

Why didn't she tell HER yet?