𖤓 10 𖤓 The Start of a Journey

Alexandra woke up to Adofo strapping on his weapons. Adofo noticed and turned his head to grin at her, "Sorry, I tried not to wake you up." "Why are you strapping all your weapons on?", she asked swinging out of bed. Adofo took a deep breath, "The sooner I leave the better." "Why?", Alexandra strolled through the shed towards him.

He draw in air sharply, "Because I'm a wanted man. Dangerous people are looking for me and they might show up here looking for me. By staying I'm putting you in danger." "I don't care. I just don't want to be alone again", slightly sad she sat down on the dinner table bench. Adofo walked towards her and set down right next to her, "You don't have to be. You can go back to the village." "I can't. You know I can't", Alexandra rested her head on his shoulder. He leaned his head against hers, "What do you want to do?"

Alexandra stood up and strolled towards the window, "I want to see the world but I've never even left the village." "Travel with me then", Adofo leaned against the wall next to the window. She turned her head towards him and smiled, "With you? With a mercenary?" "Yes. I'll make sure you can get along on your own", Adofo nodded and stayed entirely serious. Alexandra tilted her head and pursed her lips, "So traveling with a soldier and getting trained? It does sound convincing." "Then say yes", he took a step towards her.

Alexandra clicked her tongue, "What's in it for you?" "I seem less suspicious with a woman at my side. Besides I do need a healer every now and than", now he looked out of the window. She grabbed his arm and looked up to him, "Why me? There are more female healers than me. Why now? You've always been on your own." "Because I like your company", Adofo took her hand and smiled down at her.

Alexandra smiled up to him and squeezed his hand tightly, "Yes. I will travel with you. For a while at least." "I'll take whatever I can", he grinned at her.

Adofo let go off her hand and turned to pack up the rest of his things as he raised his voice, "Pack up. We'll leave today. Or at least I will. I can come back for you in a few week if you need a bit more time." Alexandra strolled through the shed looking for stuff, "No. We'll leave today." "Are you sure about?", he walked towards her and held her arm to catch her attention.

Alexandra looked him in the eyes, "There's nothing here holding me back." "Don't you want to take something with you?", he squeezed her arm and waited for her conformation. She gave him a sad smile nodding, "There's nothing here I'll need." "Are you sure you want to leave everything behind?", Adofo finally let go of her arm and took a step back to give her some space.

Silently a tear rolled down her cheek as she decided, "I'll leave everything behind. I'll leave my own life behind. From now on I'll no longer be Alexandra Beauford." "Okay. Who will you be? Or do you still need to find that out?", Adofo was a bit taken aback by her decision but accepted it.

Alexandra gave him a cocky smile, "No. Kathrine. I'm Katherine from now on." "No family name?", Adofo raised his eyebrows. She confidently shook her head, "No. I don't have a family anyway." "Depuis. Depuis will be your family name and I'll be your family", he took her hands as he smiled down to her.

With a cocky smirk Alexandra looked up to him clicking her tongue, "From now on I'm Katherine Phoebe Depuis." "It's good to meet you, Katherine Phoebe Depuis. I have a feeling we will become inseparable", Adofo gave her a mysterious smile which she returned.

They both finished up packing

Alexandra, now Katherine, put everything where it belonged and tidied up the place, as if she was leaving it behind for somebody else. Maybe was. Maybe for another lost girl who needed a home. Maybe for herself, should she return.

While she was busy cleaning up and being lost in thoughts, he made sure to lock every window and door. He boarded each one up from the inside, to make sure, the place would be exactly the same, should she return.

The two left through a secret passage beneath the shed leading to a hill deep in the woods. The exit was a small round door at hillside hidden behind trees right next to each side and behind. There were big bushes all around the door to conceal it even more. They had to crawl out between the bushes and threes.

Katherine locked the door and hung the key on a thread around her neck. Adofo blanked up that door as well but this is the only one barricaded from the outside. She put foliage over the exit to cover it loosely.

Katherine looked at the hidden door to her shed, her past, and sighed. Adofo watched her closely as she turned towards him and gave him the biggest smile while chuckling, "Let's go!"