𖤓 20 𖤓 The Commander of the Black Knights

Katherine walked into the shed seeing Orpheus packing up and asked, "Where're we going?" "We have a shared assignment with the order of the black knights. You can stay here and I'll pick you up afterwards, if you want", Orpheus shoulders a bundle of supplies and turns to her. Katherine chuckled, "Because the last time I stayed back went so very well. Anyways I'm your companion, regardless of where you're headed. No need to worry about me, as long as you're by my side, I won't be afraid of some lousy knights." "Good to hear", he laughs, "Let's head out. It won't take long and afterwards we'll return here." "I'll get the horses ready", she said heading out.

Kate won the race and stopped her horse in front of the military camp. Orpheus grinned at her as he galloped right past her and into the camp. Kate scoffed in dismay before following. Orpheus steadily slowed his horse as he rode through the camp and let his horse stop and rear in front of the biggest tent. Obviously the knight commanders tent. Kate followed calmly at a trot and stopped next to Orpheus. Both dismounted and Kate stormed towards Orpheus while drawing a dagger, "You're liar and a cheat and have no sense of justice or righteousness! You bastard-" 

"He's no bastard", a man dressed in a knight commanders uniform had stepped out of the tent. She crossed her arms and scoffed, "And how would you know?" "Orpheus, I warned you about just taking any woman as yours", he shook his head. She put her hands on her hip, "I'm not his. I belong to nobody but myself." He raised his eyebrows and looked at Orpheus, who nodded, "She only belongs to herself. Let's be candid: we both know, that I prefer more submissive women." "You prefer women you pay per hour and for their submission", she clicked her tongue.

The commander chuckled, "She got quite a sharp tongue." "She does. But her blade is always sharper than her tongue, so I advise you and everybody else to proceed with caution", Orpheus smirked. "Hey, you! Take the bundles from this horse and bring them to my tent", Katherine called to some knight walking past before turning to the two men and explaining with a smile, "You boys keep on bantering, but I desperately need my beauty sleep." 

She turned to leave but Orpheus stopped her by grabbing her wrist, "You're already beautiful enough and we have a mission to discuss." "I don't see any discussing or planing being done. I'm not here for pleasure but business and business only", Katherine coldly explained looking the commander straight in the eyes. The man scrutinized her before entering his tent, "Fine, let's head inside then to discuss business." 

Orpheus pulled back a chair for Kate and they sat down at a table beside each other. The man was pouring drinks for all of them before sitting down across from them. He turned to Katherine and asked, "What's your name?" "Names have power." "We will work together, so it would be beneficial to know your name." "What's yours?" "Why would you ask?" "It's called mutually assured destruction. Whatever you want to know about me, I want to know about you. So in case everything goes sideways, you can use what you know about me against me and I can use what I know about you against you."

The man chuckled, "I'm Hesperos." "I'm Katherine." "Hesperos Lakaris, Orpheus' older brother. Did he never tell you about me?" "Did he ever tell you about me? In case you haven't noticed your brother isn't much of a talker." "True. So who are you?" She looked at Orpheus who nodded in silent agreement. "Can't you talk without my baby brothers permission?" "I didn't ask for permission but confirmation, that you're trustworthy." "And am I trustworthy? What if my brother lies to you?" "He wouldn't, because we have to rely on each other. We have to trust each other with our lives in order to survive. I've been your baby brothers companion for two years now." "My brother's a loner." "I am. But I was hurt and she helped. That moment I realized, that life would be much easier if I weren't alone." "Why her though?" "I can't quite put my finger on it, but I had a feeling. I'm the killer and she's the healer, perfect duo."

I used to be a physician's aid, then I learned to be a healer, then I became an assassin."