Chapter 7

A few weeks later...

After learning the agricultural life style and getting down the basics of Tyran training, Jett and Thalia took us out into the swampy grasslands to hunt. I decided to just stick with Saba, but Salem and Levi improved over the last few weeks. Thalia took out Levi to go lasso some bison out in the field for practice.

Levi manages to lasso one down and catch it. "Yeahhh Levi!!" Thalia cheers. Me, Salem, and Jett all cheer for him.

"Hey, I bet you've never seen a girl and her Smilodon hunt before." I tell Jett. He shakes his head no.

"Watch this" I say to Jett. I hop off Saba. "It's really cool." Salem tells him.

"Ready Saba?" I say to her. Saba chuffs. I look way far out to see a herd of Paralophosaurus. I aim, and fire.
The herd spreads "GO!" I yells. Saba bolts to the herd and starts chasing.

Jett stares with surprise. Saba gets near the Paralophosaurus and hops on it and catches it.
"Good girl Saba!" I baby her.
Saba bears her teeth into the throat to kill it, and she happily trots back with it in her mouth.

As she's walking back though, She suddenly trips and falls into the grass.

I gasp, "Saba!"

I ran over to while the others followed behind. I threw the grass to the side of my way while running through. I ran so fast that I fell into the same hole as her. I sat up, and I was confused, the hole wasn't even deep.

I heard Salem and Jett about running closer. "STOP! You'll fall!" I yell out. Salem managed to slow down right in front of me. In the tall grass. She helps me up.

"Thanks." I grunt. "No worries, is Saba fine- woah." Salem gasps, I notice the giant hole wasn't even a hole, it was a foot print. A gigantic one to be exact, it was so big, even Saba was smaller than it. The one detail I noticed was that 1 out of 3 claws on the toe was missing

Eventually Jett catches up to us. "Hey! Are you guys ok?" Jett pants. "Yea..we're fine.." Salem starts, she then grabs his arm and drags him over to the footprint. "Do you know what this is from?" Salem asks.

I noticed then, his face turned white. He stood there, walking past us to the footprint, right to the toe with the missing claw. Me and Salem both looked at each other not knowing what he was thinking about. We then heard him murmur "...Big Buck.." He whimpered.

"What?" Salem walks up to him with her hand on his lower back.

"...Jett...?" Salem repeats his name. "Um..Let's get inside...I'll explain back at the village." He then starts nudging us back to the village, not so far away.

"Saba let's go!" I yell to her. Saba looks up and growls. "Bring it with. " I tell her. Saba groans, and picks up the dead dinosaur and drags it along.
Saba stops in front, I hop on and we ride back to the village.

Later at dinner...

We all grabbed our plates, and gathered around these huge bonfires for warmth as we eat our meal. Jett began to explain the footprint and its importance.

"Here in the South, there's a this dino. A huge Tyrannosaurus Rex bull, we call him Big Buck" He starts. "Big Buck is the biggest Tyrannosaurus Rex, maybe even the biggest dinosaur that world has ever seen." He says.

"Unlike any T-Rexes that've been around here, the village has been able to fend off them off, but it was different with Big Buck."

"Couple of years ago, when he first stepped onto the Village's territory, my Dad, along with the many men of the village, including Arch and Thalia's Dad, accompanied him to fend off the village. After many hours until it was almost dark, some of the men came back, but most didn't survive the attack." He continued.

"Our dads knew the village was still in great danger, so they attempted to try and kill him once more, but they couldn't kill him! They only managed to blind him." He finished.

"Anyway, That's why I freaked out when I saw his footprint." Jett repeats with a shake in his voice.

I can understand why Jett would be spooked. I've seen a T-Rex maybe a couple of times before, but only from a distance, so I never actually knew how big they were, until I saw how Saba was small enough to fit in it, and she's not exactly small.

I'd say i'm little taller than average for a girl, but even so, Saba is still taller than me by a couple of feet when she's on all fours. I'm glad me and Saba have never ran into a T-Rex before, because if we did, we would definitely not be here right now.

"How do you know the footprint belongs to Buck?" Salem asks. "Because he's missing a claw on his right toe" He responds.

Soon then, we hear an argument break out from another bonfire. We perk our heads up and look at each other with confusion. As it continued we look over, and of course, Archie and Levi are the culprits along with Thalia and other kids trying to split them up.

We all sigh and roll our eyes, we put our plates down and rush over to break up the argument.

As we get over there, I try to listen what they were yapping back and forth about, but they spoke over each other so much I could even understand anything they were saying.

The most I got was Levi saying he could do something better, Archie says otherwise.

Just then I managed to make out " If we're gonna see who the bigger and better man is, then I challenge you to a race!" He yells. "You're on!" Levi yells at him.

I just sigh and put my hand on my face, You have got to be kidding me.

"...We race at Death Canyon. Tomorrow." Archie says. They shake on it. Thalia gasps and intervenes, "Archie, I don't think that's a good idea." Thalia pleads. "Calm down lil Thal, it'll be fine." Archie sneers at her. "Arch-." Jett walks up to him He turns around and walks back "Death Canyon is happening tomorrow whether y'all like it or not." He sits down and continues eating.

We just kinda look at each other and sigh. We finish eating our meals and headed to bed.

To be continued...

Thanks for Reading!