Echoes Of Kabir

Warning: This part contains mentions of childhood abuse so if it triggers you, you can skip the initial part of this chapter. 

"Could you speak up a bit? I don't think your voice reached the White House," she snapped impatiently.

I shot back in a hushed tone, "Well, you're the one who dropped a bombshell on me. You can't blame me for being a little shell-shocked."

She let out an exasperated sigh.

"Is this the brother you haven't spoken to since you left home?" I asked, concern creeping into my voice.

"What other brothers do I have, Singh?" she asked, her tone tinged with frustration.

"Hey, no need to get upset," I replied calmly. "I rarely bring up your family in our conversations, so I don't know much about them, except for the fact that they kicked you out of the house when you were 13," I added, speaking slowly.

"I'm sorry for getting emotional," she apologized, her voice softening. "I just want you to befriend him, no matter what."

"What?" I exclaimed, surprised by her request.

"It's a sincere plea, Singh," she said, her voice carrying a hint of sadness.

I cleared my throat nervously. "Sana, I understand that you two aren't on good terms, but dragging me into the middle of it... won't that just make things worse?"

"I know, but what choice do I have?" she responded, her voice tinged with desperation. "I need you to befriend him and convince him to meet me just once. There are things I need to say to him."

"With all due respect, Sana, why don't you have a direct conversation with him?" I suggested. "Since your parents passed away years ago, it's just him you need to persuade."

There was a moment of silence on the other end before she replied, her voice tinged with frustration. "Believe me, I've tried. I've reached out to him multiple times, called him, but he always blocks me or changes his contact number."

I sighed, sensing the depth of their estrangement. "Why is he so distant from you, anyway?"

Her response was quiet, laden with unspoken pain.

"Sana?" I whispered softly.

Sniffling, she admitted, "I've been a terrible sister."

"Don't cry, please," I urged, feeling a pang of helplessness. "What happened? You haven't been in his life since you were 13. Where did it all go wrong?"

"There were so many mistakes, so many regrets," she confessed, her voice heavy with sorrow. "By the time I realized it, I had already shattered the most precious bond in my life."

"Alright, mistakes happen. Got it. But how can we make things right?" I pressed, my voice tinged with concern.

"The only way forward is through an apology. It's all I have to offer him, however it won't erase the pain," she confessed, her tone heavy with remorse.

"But Sana, what exactly happened? I need to understand the depth of the situation," I insisted, feeling the weight of her words.

"I-I..." She faltered, her voice breaking with emotion. "I can't, Singh. Some wounds run too deep."

I let out a heavy sigh, the gravity of the situation sinking in. "You're asking me to help. I need to know what we're up against."

Her voice trembled as she spoke, "If I were to tell you things, Singh, you won't see me the same way as you have in the past."

I rubbed my temples, feeling the weight of her words. "You can't just play the emotional card like that. I need to know what I'm getting myself into," I replied, frustration creeping into my tone. "But, side note, I know you, Sana. Your past won't change how I see you because I admire the person you are now, not who you were."