Mother's Love

"Mom!" I exclaimed, surprised by her sudden return. "You're back?"

"Yeah, I forgot my purse outside, so I thought I'd come back and check on you," she explained. "Now, what were you two really talking about?" She glanced at Kabir.

I hesitated, unsure of how to broach the topic. "We were... discussing some political issue," I replied vaguely.

She raised an eyebrow, her motherly intuition keen. "Aryan, you know I can tell when you're not being completely honest. What's going on?"

Kabir remained silent, waiting for me to lead the conversation. Taking a deep breath, I decided it was time to be honest. "Mom, Kabir and I... we love each other," I confessed, gesturing to the space between us that held more than just friendship.

Her expression remained neutral, giving away little of her thoughts. "Love each other as friends?" she asked, her tone implying she knew there was more to it.

"No, Mom," I asserted, locking eyes with her. "Our relationship goes beyond friendship. We're a couple."

Her reaction was immediate, a mixture of shock and disappointment crossing her features. She remained silent for a moment, her eyes shifting between Kabir and me before she finally spoke.

"This is exactly why I was hesitant about you moving to a big city," she said quietly, her tone carrying a tinge of regret. "I feared you might get caught up in situations like this."

"Mom, please listen," I tried to interject, but her disappointment halted my words.

"I had higher hopes for you, Aryan," she continued, her voice heavy with disappointment. "I believed you would make me proud, but it seems I misjudged."

Kabir attempted to speak, but his words were interrupted by laughter that suddenly filled the room.

Mom wiped away the tears that had gathered at the corners of her eyes, her expression softening. "Why the serious faces, guys? Just because I come from a small town doesn't mean I'd deny you the right to love whoever you choose."

I looked at her, a glimmer of hope in my eyes. "So, you're not upset?"

"Upset? About you loving someone?" She shook her head, a playful pout forming on her lips. "I thought you knew me better than that."

"I was worried you might judge me for being with a guy," I admitted quietly.

She placed a comforting hand on my cheek. "I won't ever do that. And as for the town folks, I've already lost sleep over their judgments once; I won't let it happen again. I'm standing by your side no matter what, well, except if you decide to take up a career in crime," she added with a chuckle.

I couldn't help but smile at her words. "Thanks, Mom. I appreciate that."

She walked closer to us, her gaze fixing on Kabir. Her eyes widened in recognition. "Wait a minute, aren't you that famous cricketer from the TV?"

Kabir nodded, a hint of amusement in his eyes. "Yes, Mrs. Singh, that's me."

"Well, well," Mom said, a playful twinkle in her eyes. "You've landed yourself a celebrity, Aryan. Not bad at all."

I felt my cheeks flush at her teasing. "Mom, please."

She laughed warmly. "Oh, don't be embarrassed, dear. It's refreshing to see you with someone special."

Kabir smiled politely, "Thank you, Mrs. Singh."

Mom playfully waved off any formalities. "Let's drop the formal talk, dear. Just be yourself with us. Aryan's never been one for formalities, have you?"