Part 20

The next night, Goliath told the rest of the clan that Brooklyn had attempted to kill himself last night and they all must be extra vigilant with him.

"Brooklyn seemed to be doing so well. I can't believe he would do that." Lex exclaimed.

"His mind is still disturbed, Lexington. It took everything I had to coax him back to his room and told him how we all feel about him. In these coming days, weeks, even if it takes months, we can't let him down. We must all make him feel like he is a valued member of the clan. He just got the wrong idea in his head that he wasn't needed." Goliath explained.

"Uh, Goliath, I have an idea." Angela spoke up. The males all turned to her.

"I know that it seems to him like we all have each other, but what if there was someone that needed Brooklyn?" Angela asked.

"What are you saying, Angela?" Goliath asked.

"He wants someone to love him so bad. I saw this movie recently where there was a guy who was traumatized from a bad accident, and he lost nearly all interest in life for a long time until he was given a dog to take care of." Angela explained.

"We have Bronx here." Hudson stated.

"I know, Hudson, but Bronx is more of your best friend. Maybe we need to go one step further and get Brooklyn his own best friend, since having a mate is out of the option right now. Could we find him an animal friend?" Angela asked. "Like a cat or something? Elisa has a cat."

"Come to think of it, you're right, Angela." Broadway agreed with her. "We know Elisa has Cagney, but he's Elisa's. If we get him a cat, it needs to be strictly his own. Maybe Elisa could help get him one."

"We would also need to talk to Xanatos and Fox about having a cat here in the castle." Goliath said. "But if what you are suggesting will help, we could give it a try."

............

Later, in David's office, the man agreed. "Yes, I know how animals can be of great therapy to help people heal from their past traumas."

"Could you find him a cat that needs him?" Angela asked.

"There are lots of animal shelters that have cats that need homes." Owen added.

"Maybe tomorrow, one of us can go get him one." David suggested.

"Does Brooklyn know you're going to get him a cat?" Owen asked.

"No. We want to surprise him." Lex said. "It might mean the most if Hudson gives it to him."

"I can do that when ye have the cat." Hudson smiled.

..............

The next day, Owen was asked to go to an animal shelter to find a cat that needed a home the most. He also asked if there was one that got passed over time and time again by adopters.

"I think we have just the one for you." The shelter lady said and led Owen to a cage that had a black kitten in it. "Her name is Salem. She is super friendly but because she's black, adopters just don't want her. She's the last of her litter of seven. Even her mom has been adopted. She was the only black one. Her mom was a calico. Salem is currently five months old. She's been spayed and current on her vaccines. But you must also make haste. She is also on the death row list."

"I will take her. She's for a very special person who needs some healing of his own." Owen declared joyfully. "We will give her a good home."

"Alright." The lady said. "Let us go fill out some paperwork and pay our adoption fee first."