Chapter One

Aurora p.o.v.

"AURORA!!"

I wake with a start as Mrs. Scrubbit screeched my name. What a wonderful way to wake up.

With a sigh, I reluctantly stood and got dressed, putting on a somewhat nice white ruffled long sleeve with a light brown corset to go over it, purple skirt that goes down to my ankles and the light purple apron I was given when I first arrived here. Perks of living/working in a wash house? Your clothes are always clean.

"Finally. Took you long enough. Get a move on, lots of deliveries to make."

Mrs. Scrubbit greeted me with the same disdain she does every morning as I descended the stairs. She then hands me the bassinet with clean laundry to transport.

"Alright, I'm going," I replied, trying hard to keep a sass-free tone. "But where's Noodle?"

I notice that my delivery buddy isn't waiting for me by the door like she normally is.

"Noodle won't be joining you today. She's serving her punishment, the brat." Mrs. Scrubbit sneered.

"I think you should lay off the punishments, Mrs. Scrubbit, maybe she's learned?"

"You know what I think? I think you should shut your mouth and do your job before I punish you just the same. You don't want that now do you?" She spat, anger evident in her tone.

I hate this woman so much.

" No, Mrs. Scrubbit."

"Thats what I thought. Now go!" 

I sped out of there with the cart of clothes, more than happy to leave.

A few hours and few more deliveries later, I still had a crap ton of clean laundry to deliver, but I thought a slight detour was acceptable, so I headed by the Galeries Gourmet, just for a peek. As I was walking along, I stopped to see as much as I could from the big front doors, that's when I saw the strangest thing; a man dressed in a tattered, royal reddish-purple coat with a tall brown top hat, dancing. I couldn't help but stare at the man, half in amusement and half in shock at the absurdity. Nobody danced around here.

He started spinning around with his cane in a way that made me no match for the fit of giggles that erupted from somewhere in me.

He must've heard me because he caught my eye and stopped, offering me a smile. I awkwardly waved, embarrassed that he'd noticed me watching him. He tipped his hat in a very gentlemanly way and started to walk over, but a policeman got to him first. They exchanged some words, and the funny dancing man took something from his pocket and placed it in the policeman's hand. By that time, I realized I'd been standing there far longer than I intended so I rushed away to finish the day's work.

The sun had already set by the time I made it back to the wash house, so I rushed to put the cart away and meet Noodle in the kitchen so we could start dinner. Luckily I wasn't late, as she was calmy sitting in the corner, reading the book she'd already read a couple dozen times. I always swore I'd buy her more books, more than she could read in her lifetime, but through no fault of my own, they were empty promises. We both knew we'd be stuck here till we dropped dead.

"What did I miss?" I whispered to her.

"Not much." She replied in the same low tone.

I started to tell her about my day as we began cooking the food for everyone else, and I was in the middle of describing the strange dancing man when there was a loud knock from the front door. 

"That'll be Mr. Bleacher with the gin then."

I nodded at Noodle's statement and we both went to peek out the little window that led into the parlor.