Chapter Seventeen

Aurora p.o.v.

A while had passed as me, Noodle and the others all walked around, serving hot chocolate to everyone. I look over and see Willy sitting on the steps to the cathedral. He looked happy, and that's all I wanted, so it made me happy too. I handed my pitcher to Ms. Bell and walked over to join him. I sat next to him and put my head on his shoulder. My heart fluttered as I felt him place a kiss on the top of my head.

I feel him shift so I pull my head away to look at him and see he's pulling out the chocolate bar he keeps with him everywhere. He starts to unwrap it and I look at his face. 

"Willy, are you sure?"

He smiles at me, a genuine expression. "I'm sure."

I mirror him and we turn out attention to the little bar. He unwraps it and we find a little piece of gold paper with his mother's writing on it.

The secret is...

It's not the chocolate that matters.

It's the people you share it with!

Mamma xxx

I let out a little laugh and look at Willy, who's shedding tears of joy.

"Willy...you finally learned the secret."

He grins at me and sets it down, before getting up and grabbing my hand, pulling me up with him. He then picks me up and spins me around, his arms around me tightly.

After he sets me down, we look to see all of our friends walking up to join us. Willy grabs hi mom's chocolate bar and breaks off a piece, handing it to Noodle. Her face lights up when she realizes what it is. He breaks off a piece for all of us, then he holds my piece up to my mouth.

I giggle and allow him to feed me, my jaw dropping at the taste. He laughs and kisses me, tasting his chocolate on my lips. He only pulls away to breathe, and he chuckles at my red face.

"How does it feel, Willy? Is it as good as you remember?"

He seems to remember that there are other people here, and he turns to Noodle with a big grin. "Every little bit. I wish it could last forever." 

The cathedral clock chimes.

"But I guess it's time."

We all look at each other and smile, excited for what comes next. Noodle just looks confused.

"Time for what?"

"You know how many people named D. Smith live in the city, Noodle?" Willy asks her, not really expecting an answer from her.

"A hundred and six." Mr. Crunch chimes in. "But luckily, you have a friend who works in the telephone exchange. She spent the whole afternoon ringing around, and guess what."

I walk up and take her hands, looking her in the eye. "We found her."

"...You found my mom?" Tears well in her eyes.

"She works in the library. That's where she lives." Mr. Crunch smiles at her.

"Come on, Noodle." Willy grabbed my hand and led the two of us out and to the library.

We made it so far, but Noodle's nerves must have gotten to her, because she stops in the tunnel outside the entrance to the library.

We all watched as a woman steps out from the library doors and looks around. Noodle's eyes fill with tears once again and she grabs my hand. I walk with her, squeezing Willy's hand and letting it go as he waits back in the tunnel.