Chapter Eighty-Two

🌻Hey, gorgeous! You can read this episode and much more of DOCTOR-PATIENT CONFIDENTIALITY and other sizzling web series from Emended Hearts at www.EmendedHearts.com or click the external link at the bottom of the page.🌻

💗💗💗

For a split second—that, in a really strange, paralyzing way, also feels like a long stretch of eternity—I freeze in place, as if my entire system just shut down on me without so much as a warning. But then, just as quickly, a surge of energy shoots through me out of nowhere and my brain suddenly demands that copious amounts of adrenaline mix with every ounce of my blood, and without the slightest thought, my body lurches itself forward, moving on its own accord. Before I can stop myself or even realize what's happening, I'm closing the distance and snatching the phone away from him with a speed and ferocity I didn't know I possessed.

When I realize what I've just done, it's too late. My crazy, freakish reaction has already played out, and he witnessed every second of it all too clearly. Which, of course, only makes me freak the hell out even more.

I curse myself profusely for being so fucking anxious and paranoid. Drake just stares at me in the seconds that follow my crazy display, his expression a mixture of surprise, confusion, and slight wariness, but soon he's smiling again and breaking the incredibly weird, awkward silence that ensues.

He looks like he's about to say something lighthearted to ease the mood, but his smile quickly disappears as his brow arches slightly and he subtly cocks his head to the side, his whiskey eyes turning curious, as if he's trying to take a better look at something. I look to my left and then my right like an idiot, wondering what's got him so focused.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" I say, only partially joking. It wouldn't be the first time I went around with a bug or some tiny critter chilling in my hair or on my shoulder and I didn't notice for hours on end.

"Y-your neck," he points, his voice a bit hesitant.

I frown, my hand moving up to touch it on reflex. "What's wrong with it?" I say, a bit confused.

He clears his throat twice before he continues. "It's...it's, uh, kinda red and spotty," he finally admits, and as soon as he does, his cheeks start turning red themselves. I've never seen him so flustered before.

My eyes go wide and my hand impulsively grabs at the side of my neck, cupping it nervously as realization of what he's talking about bombards my brain.

Oh, my God...

I turn to the wall mirror just a few feet away, and I look at my reflection in absolute mortification as my silent fear is confirmed.

Hickeys.

From Frost.

Fuck!

They're fully formed, fairly large, and quite prominent. I don't know how the hell I hadn't noticed them at all until just now. With everything going on and my mind constantly racing, the possibility of sustaining hickeys from Frost's "oral ministrations" hadn't crossed my mind. My heart lurches in my chest in panic, my brain spasming in a desperate attempt to think of something to explain away the obvious and unmistakable bite marks and superficial bruises on the right side of my neck.

"Oh...I must have slept awkwardly or something," is the only lame comeback I can think of. The only thing that's awkward is this conversation. "It happens every now and again. My neck even gets stiff for a couple hours," I add, hoping the lie sounds convincing enough for him to at least not talk about it anymore.

"Oh, I see," he says with a slight nod, as if to demonstrate his understanding of my "explanation". But I know in my heart that he knows damn well my neck didn't get the way it is because I slept on it wrong. It doesn't really help that I'm not the most convincing liar in the world. But whatever. I'm not about to give either of us one more second to dwell on the embarrassing topic.

"Let me just grab my jacket really quick and we can go," I say, slightly breathless from being so flustered and caught off guard. I practically sprint back into my room without waiting for a response.

I close the door behind me, and part of me just wants to lock myself in and stay in here until the end of time...or at least until Drake gets tired of waiting for me and decides to chuck up the deuces. But obviously, that's not going to happen.

I place the Ice Block inside my bedside drawer and even go further to conceal it with a bunch of paper and other random items. I know it's an extremely paranoid move considering Allison is pretty much never here and even when she is, she hardly ever comes into my room. But after what just happened with Drake, I really don't feel like taking any more chances on it being discovered by anyone else.

When the phone is safely tucked away and I have one less thing to be anxious about, I make a dash for my tiny closet and rummage through it like a madwoman, tossing and flinging things left and right in search of a scarf, almost making a sport of it. If my room didn't already look like a tornado made its way through it, it'd certainly look like that now.

I inadvertently spot the heels Nicole had lent me the night of the birthday-bash, and I can't help but cringe at the sight of them, making a mental note to give them back to her ASAP.

I finally find the damn scarf, and I hastily wrap it around my neck in front of the mirror. Unfortunately, it's unable to hide all of Frost's handiwork no matter how I wrap it. I sigh in exasperation, tossing the hunter green fabric aside.

This is so damn annoying.

Why the hell did I even agree to go to this dance again? More importantly, why the hell did I allow that blue-eyed son of a bitch to do this to me?

From the corner of my eye, I spot an old turtle neck sweater lying in the small pile of tossed clothes in the corner. I reach for it, examining it as I hold it up. I remember this little piece. I got it a few years back from a thrift store. I liked its dark nude color and I liked its price tag even more so getting it wasn't a hard decision. It still looks good. More importantly, it's functional. And it'll definitely work for my current "issue".

I quickly put it on, and I thank my lucky stars when it covers up my neck and all evidence of Frost's presence on it perfectly. A sigh of relief escapes me as I quickly grab my jacket before heading out.

***

Hey, again! We'll post one chapter every Friday, but there are currently over 140 chapters in Season One, so this may take a while. If you just can't wait, you can read this episode and much more of DOCTOR-PATIENT CONFIDENTIALITY and other sizzling web series at www.EmendedHearts.com or click the external link below.

👇🏿👇🏽👇🏼

Sign up for our Love Letter on our website www.EmendedHearts.com/Love-Letter. Your support is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading! And don't forget to vote, share and comment! Love ya :).

XOXO ❤️‍🔥😘

Eme and the hearts at EmendedHearts