The Losers Always Fall...(Part 3)

A week had passed since Vox had woken up. After that first night things were slightly tense between him and Val, as if the two had forgotten how to act around each other. Vox refused to meet Valentino's eyes and always looked down or away when they spoke. 

The worst part for Val was that he knew why. Vox unconsciously resented him for what had happened the night he'd tried to kill himself, and for good reason. Val was reluctant to admit how many drinks he'd knocked back that evening, mainly because he couldn't quite remember himself. The only part he remembered was being with Vox, not forcing him.

 After that, everything was black until he received that panicked, terrified call from Velvette. She'd been in hysterics, screaming and crying at him through the phone about how Vox had come back and locked himself in his room. She was petrified and he could hear her banging on a door and yelling Vox's name. Val had bolted up from his sofa and stumbled out the door, smashing the double doors to the Vee's penthouse, panic-stricken.

Val heard a distressed yell from inside Vox's bedroom and had called Vox's name through the heavy-set door. Then it was quiet. Terror-stricken, Valentino had cracked the door open roughly and forced his way inside, Velvette at his heels. She gasped aloud and darted to the other side of Vox's bed.

Vox was lying motionless against the bottom rail facing the large window, his eyes half open and blank. Velvette had begun to tear sheathes of fabric from her puffy skirt as Val tried to wake Vox up, shaking his shoulders and crying out to him. Valentino had thrown his arms around Vox's neck, tears streaming uncontrollably down his face. 

"Please, Vox. PLEASE." Val had pleaded.

Suddenly a shaky arm wrapped around his own and Vox whispered in the moth's ear.

"I...I love you, Val. I wish...it ended differently..." Vox's voice had slid out of his lips quickly and quietly as his arm slipped down. 

"NO NO...NO VOX!" Valentino had screamed, placing his lips on Vox's one last time desperately. 

Val had clung to Vox's body tightly, curled into a fetal position as Velvette had called an ambulance. He tried to calm down, to breathe, but oxygen wouldn't come. He couldn't draw in air and he gasped over and over again until a sharp, quick pain pierced his neck and a darkness fell on his mind. 

"Val...?" 

Valentino snapped back to the present as Velvette's cockney accent pierced his thoughts. She stood next to him with a concerned expression on her face, her hand resting on his arm. He sat straighter, his eyes immediately bouncing to Vox to make sure he was okay. He was sat almost upright as he scrolled on his phone, but his eyes were drooping and Val could see the sleep etched in his face. 

Val got up, Velvette's hand slipping from his forearm, and crossed to the bed. He put his hand out and Vox flinched slightly. Valentino paused, his face twinging slightly, before putting his hand behind Vox's head and pushing to pillow down. Vox was still half asleep, but regret washed quickly over his face as he saw what Val was doing. 

Val slid the hellphone from his boyf-

He caught himself, he and Vox hadn't discussed it but he was pretty sure they weren't together anymore. Who could forgive what Val had done?

However, Valentino had sworn to take care of Vox until he had recovered and was both physically and mentally sound. Sighing, Val slid the phone from the TV demon's hand and turned to walk away as he traced the eyebags under his big, pink eyes. Velvette stepped out seconds later, muttering something about a work emergency.