29 | Exact Details

Adrien sat across a table from Officer Reimer with his hands folded together in his lap. Apparently, he had found out about Adrien's birthday party from overhearing the mayor's daughter, who was bitching up a storm about how ridiculous it was that the party was on a 'poor dirty boat' instead of at the hotel.

"Am I in trouble?" He asked after a quiet moment.

The officer shook his head. "No, no. This is just standard procedure. I just want to get all the facts in a line, so if you could go over what happened the night your father disappeared—in exact details—that'd be great."

Breathe, Adrien. If you stay calm, they won't find out what you did. "Where do you want me to start?"

"How about the night your father was supposed to leave for his business trip?" Officer Reimer suggested as he looked through his notes. "You mentioned he came upstairs to talk to you, right?"

"Yes," Adrien answered with a nod. He had to be careful what he said. His story had to be the exact same as before. "My father and I just talked about his work he was supposed to do in Brazil, how he was opening his demo store, then he left for his flight."

"And?"

"Uh, my father and I chatted on the phone for a bit while he was driving to the airport. He promised to call once he got on his flight, but he never did."

Officer Reimer nodded to himself. "Do you remember what time the call took place?"

"Umm... a little after nine p.m., I think?"

He wrote something down. "Continue."

"I waited about four hours for my father to call. I thought he'd just forgotten, but I was worried, so I called his assistant, Nathalie."

"Yes, Miss Sancoeur mentioned that you called her."

Adrien nodded. "I kind of freaked out on the phone with her, just crying hysterical about the possibility of something bad happening to my father. So, she suggested I have a friend stay over, and I didn't want to be alone, anyway. I called my... friend, Marinette Dupain-Cheng."

"She's your classmate, right?" The officer asked.

"Yes, we've been in the same class for a few years now."

"And you two are just friends?"

I don't know what we are. "It's... complicated."

Officer Reimer chuckled. "I get it, son. So, this Marinette, she came over to your house?"

"Yes."

"And what did you two do?"

Hide my dead father's body. "Umm... we just sat in my room and watched movies. That is, until we fell asleep. The next morning, Nathalie found us and told us about my father, that search parties had been sent out for him."

Officer Reimer nodded. So far, Adrien's story lined up with Nathalie's, and his alibi appeared legit. "Officer Roger canceled those search parties after that letter was found in your father's desk."

"I-I guess, yeah..."

"Don't you think—" Officer Reimer was cut off as his phone beeped with a new notification. As he checked, it beeped again. He shook his head with a chuckle and waved the phone at Adrien. "These damn things, always so freaking confusing."

Adrien nodded but wasn't sure what to say. "Technology can be a tricky thing."

"I know, I keep getting these weird texts from random numbers..." The officer looked up and asked, "Same thing ever happen to you, Mr. Agreste?"