37 | The Last Patrol

Four Months After

Ladybug and Cat Noir raced across the city, running, jumping, and leaping over buildings to their spot. The one place they went to feel safe, to feel content, and all they needed was each other, as it'd always been.

The bug had beat the cat by mere seconds and she took pride in her swift victory. "Face it, Kitty Cat, I've always been faster than you."

Cat Noir rolled his eyes. "Bugaboo, I would've won if I wasn't so distracted."

"By what?"

"The way your pigtails bounce when you run," He answered as he reached a claw out to play with them. "And those ribbons dancing in the wind. You're absolutely mesmerizing."

Ladybug pouted. "Aww, it's cute you think compliments will get you the win. Just admit you lost."

"I will not!"

"You sore loser."

Cat Noir stepped forward and leaned in close. She backed up until her foot left the ledge and he wrapped a protective arm around her waist, holding her still. "Up for a rematch, Milady?"

Wow, he's really close... have his eyes always been this beautiful? Ladybug pushed his messy blonde hair out of his face. She could stare in his big, green eyes forever.

"Fine, I'll admit my defeat," Her partner had started to say. "But you know what your prize is?"

"I think you're about to tell me."

He grinned. "Winner has to kiss a cat. I know it's tough, but I'm here to help."

Ladybug laughed as she shook her head, and down below in an alley, a stray cat caught her eye. A small, cute, chubby orange cat. Soon a wicked plan fell into place and she faced her partner. "Alright, Cat Noir. If I must..."

"Oh, you must." He closed his eyes and puckered his lips.

The spotted hero jumped off the roof and gently nabbed the stray cat. She returned to the roof, where Cat Noir was still waiting for a kiss, and she smiled. "You said a cat, but that doesn't mean you."

"Huh?" Cat Noir opened his eyes.

His lady stood there with an orange cat in her arms. She lifted the feline up and kissed his nose gently. "I like winning."

"Tell me that's not one of your lucky charms?"

"Isn't he so cute?" Ladybug asked as she raised the cat to the sky, already in love. "What were you doing all by yourself, handsome?" She asked in a baby voice. The cat meowed and she gasped with big eyes. "Oh, I love you, too!"

Cat Noir crossed his arms. "I'm still your favorite feline, right?"

Ladybug looked over. "Of course, kitten." She stood on her toes and gave him a quick kiss. "Forever and always."

"He is a cute little guy," He admitted as he started scratching behind his orange ears. "I guess there's enough room for a second cat around here."

"I'm going to keep him."

"I wouldn't expect anything less, Milady."

Ladybug flipped the cat on his back and started scratching his neck and stomach. It purred against her hand. "What should I name him?"

"How about Garbage, since that's where you found him?" Cat Noir suggested.

"Don't make me throw you in the garbage," She playfully threatened.

"Trashcan?"

"You're pushing your luck, Kitty."

Cat Noir sighed. "What about Croissant? He's warm and his fur looks golden like bread flakes."

"Croissant..." Ladybug repeated. She nodded and said, "I like it. Mister Kitty, you are now named Croissant!"

The cat meowed.

"I think he likes his name."

Cat Noir looked out towards the quiet city. Without his father around to torment Paris, no one had needed the superhero duo in a while. Sure, there was still crime, but not enough to need them. "This might be our last patrol, Milady."

"Why do you say that, Cat Noir?" She asked as she sat on the ledge, protectively holding Croissant in her lap.

He sat beside her. "Without my father... without Shadowmoth... there's no reason to protect Paris anymore. Nobody needs us anymore."

"Paris will always need protecting," Ladybug reminded him. "Just in a way that doesn't involve purifying butterflies and stopping supervillains."

"You're right, Bugaboo." Cat Noir looked at his partner and smiled. "The bug and cat team will always kick ass!"

"Damn right we will!"

They raised their fists. "Pound it."

Ladybug stood and stepped off the ledge. "Now that I have a new roommate, I need to stop at the store to get Croissant some things. A new bed, litter box, toys. I shouldn't be long. Do you want to watch a movie later?"

"Anything you want, little bug." Cat Noir climbed to his feet and faced the direction his house was in. "Meet back up in an hour?"

Ladybug nodded. "I'll see you later!" She threw her yo-yo and ran home, excited to show her parents the newest family member.

"I love that girl," Cat Noir whispered to himself. There was a soft thud behind him and he spun around fast, surprised by the new presence behind him. "Uh, hello?"

"I've been looking for you, cousin," The stranger greeted.

His eyes widened. "Felix?!"

"You can call me Argos."

"What are you doing here?"

"You weren't at home, so I figured you were out with your little girlfriend," His cousin teased with a grin.

Cat Noir's cheeks burned. He loved when Marinette was called this: his girlfriend. "Okay, you found me. What's up?"

Argos' playful smile faded into a serious frown. "There's something we need to talk about, something important... it's about Officer Reimer and Officer Laurent."