34 | A Sweet Lullaby

Adrien and Marinette laid side by side in his bed, his head rested on her chest. She played with his hair as she hummed a sweet lullaby. He fell asleep fast to her soft voice, but he flinched here and there against her.

Felix had been gone for almost two hours now, leaving after he explained to Marinette what'd been going on and how Adrien gotten these weird texts from an unknown number.

Of course Marinette was mad that Adrien kept this from her, but she got over it rather quickly, due to his current mental state. It wasn't worth staying angry over, especially since Adrien had done it to protect her.

Her arm tingled and went numb as it fell asleep. She moved slightly as she tried to adjust herself and Adrien's arms tightened around her. "Please... don't leave me." He whispered into her shirt, holding the fabric tight in closed fists.

"I won't, Adrien." She kissed his forehead. "But... I need you to talk to me. I'm here for you. I'll listen."

"He... I..." He started crying.

"It's okay. We can start small. Don't overwhelm yourself, my love."

Adrien took in a deep breath. "Ever since I... killed my father... I've been seeing... his ghost."

Her eyes widened. That's what he's hallucinating? Not his mother, but his dead father? No wonder he's freaking out. "Your... father?"

He nodded. "At first, I was just seeing him, but then I could hear him. He'd talk to me sometimes. He'd show up randomly without warning."

"So, those times you were acting weird... in the kitchen and your father's office... you saw him," Marinette whispered.

Adrien stared out at nothing with wide, shaking eyes. "I see him everywhere. In my bathroom, my bedroom, hell, even the kitchen. I can't get him out of my head!"

"What has he been saying to you?"

"About the same when he was alive, how I'm worthless and pathetic, but... but earlier..."

"Yes, Adrien?"

He glanced at her ear before making eye contact. "He told me to take your miraculous."

Marinette stared at his ring. "To make a wish."

"To bring my mother back."

"And you told him no—"

"Because he wants me to kill you."

She gasped. "What? He said..."

Adrien cupped her cheek and his soft, warm touch calmed her fear instantly. "But I could never kill the one I love."

"We're going to get you help, Adrien," She told him with a sweet smile. I promise."

"I'd like that... please."

"We could start small. Do you want to walk around the garden? Get some fresh air?"

"Umm, maybe a shower?" He suggested instead.

She nodded. "Yeah, hot water might be good."

Adrien pulled away from Marinette and sat up. He stretched his arms with a sigh and sat there for a moment.

Marinette didn't rush him. He had to get up on his own. He had to do this on his own.

As he stood, she jumped up and grabbed his hand. "Adrien?"

"Yes, my love?"

She blushed at the pet name. "I... I love you so, so much and you are worthy of many things. Don't listen to those who try to hurt you. They're lies. What I say is the truth."

"And what truth is that?"

"That you, Adrien Agreste, are beautiful and something worthwhile."

He smiled warmly. "Thank you... uh, Marinette?"

"Hmm?"

"Will you stand by the door in case I... see him again?"

Marinette nodded. "Of course." She walked over and stood by the door and as Adrien walked in, he left the door cracked.

From the shower, he called out, "Can you hum that lullaby from earlier? It was lovely."

She hummed that sweet lullaby and he got through a shower without seeing or hearing his dead father's ghost.

The bedroom door opened and Felix walked in. He saw Marinette and heard the shower running. "How's Adrien?"

"He's talking."

"That's good."

"Where did you go?" She asked.

Felix took Adrien's phone and a folded piece of paper out of his pocket. "I tracked the number, the one that's been sending Adrien those texts."

"Really? Who's sending them?"

His face fell with worry. "That's the thing..."

"Who does the number belong to, Felix?" The bathroom door opened and Adrien walked out in clean clothes, drying his messy blonde hair with a towel. "Tell us."

"Adrien... I know you're in a delicate position right now. I don't think it's good for you to—"

"Just tell me, damnit!" He shouted, angry, and Felix and Marinette stared with wary eyes. He paused and sighed. "I'm sorry. Please... I just want this nightmare to be over."

Felix nodded. "The database I used to track this number, it gave me a name and location."

"Where are the texts coming from?"

"From inside the house."

Adrien blinked. "You mean... my house?"

"And the number is registered to Emelie Agreste."