39 | Evidence

Adrien unzipped his graduation gown, tugged off his cap, and threw them on the steel table in front of him. He sat down and looked up, catching his reflection in a large mirror on the wall, a one-way mirror, he assumed.

After they arrived at the police station, Officer Reimer shoved him in this room and left without saying anything. He's been waiting here for about twenty minutes now.

The model held eye contact with his reflection, and wondered if anyone was on the other side watching him.

Felix, your plan better work.

On the other side of the one-way mirror, the two officers stood side by side and shared a look.

"Do you think he did it?" Officer Laurent asked.

Officer Reimer shrugged. "We can't prove that Adrien killed his father, not without a body, but we know for sure he was involved in making Gabriel Agreste disappear."

"So, what? We just need him to confess?"

"Pretty much."

"And if he doesn't?"

Officer Reimer looked at two monitors in front of him, both streaming security footage from the rooms Adrien and Marinette were in. He watched the pig-tailed girl pace back and forth, talking to herself. "I'm sure we can get the girl to crack. I don't know if she's Adrien's partner or how she's involved in this, but she knows something."

Adrien picked at the skin around his thumb, growing more anxious by the minute. He had put his full faith and trust into his cousin and this complicated and ridiculous plan.

He was risking it all.

"There's something we need to talk about, something important... it's about officer Reimer and officer Laurent," Felix hesitantly said.

"What about them, Felix?" Adrien asked.

"They're finding more evidence, getting further along in the case... starting to close in on and you and Marinette."

His eyes widened. "What do you mean?"

"It won't be long before they have enough evidence to arrest you both."

"A-Arrest us? But... but you said you could help! You said you wouldn't let this happen!"

"And I am a man of my word, cousin," Felix reminded him. "I have a plan."

Adrien rolled his eyes. "Of course you do."

"But you're not going to like it."

The door opened and Officer Reimer stepped in.

Adrien looked up and held eye contact. His gaze never wavered as the officer sat across from him.

Officer Reimer sat down a folder on the table and leaned back, folding his hands together behind his neck. "Why don't you make this easy for me and just confess? We know you did it."

"Did what?"

"Killed your father."

"Is that so?" Adrien challenged.

Officer Reimer rested his arm on the table, tapping his finger rhythmically against the cool steel. "Maybe, maybe not, but what we do know is that you and your girlfriend made your father's disappearance look like an act of free will."

Adrien tried his best to keep his cool. He couldn't let any emotion show. He didn't say anything.

"Your father is business partners with Tomoe Tsurugi, has been for years now, actually. Your friends with her daughter, Kagami, right?"