Helping a dragon

Percy was having a good couple of weeks nothing was going on all that much he was still keeping up his grades and Malfoy toned-down on being a jerk. Percy was happy he was able to subdue Malfoy for a bit.

Then came along a group of three students who somehow managed to always give Percy a headache. While Percy was studying in the library he couldn't help but overhear and interesting conversation.

"Hagrid! What are you doing in the library?"

Hagrid shuffled into view, hiding something behind his back. He looked very out of place in his moleskin overcoat.

"Jus' lookin'," he said, in a shifty voice that got their interest at once. "An' what're you lot up ter?" He looked suddenly suspicious. "Yer not still lookin' fer Nicolas Flamel, are yeh?"

"Oh, we found out who he is ages ago," said Ron impressively. "And we know what that dog's guarding, it's a Sorcerer's St –"

"Shhhh!" Hagrid looked around quickly to see if anyone was listening. "Don' go shoutin' about it, what's the matter with yeh?"

"There are a few things we wanted to ask you, as a matter of fact," said Harry, "about what's guarding the Stone apart from Fluffy –"

"SHHHH!" said Hagrid again. "Listen – come an' see me later, I'm not promisin' I'll tell yeh anythin', mind, but don' go rabbitin' about it in here, students aren' s'pposed ter know. They'll think I've told yeh –"

"See you later, then," said Harry.

Hagrid shuffled off.

Percy could faintly see something in Hagrid's hands it almost looked like an egg. 

"I'm going to see what section he was in," said Ron, who'd had enough of working. He came back a minute later with a pile of books in his arms and slammed them down on the table.

"Dragons!" he whispered. "Hagrid was looking up stuff about dragons! Look at these: Dragon Species of Great Britain and Ireland; From Egg to Inferno, A Dragon Keeper's Guide."

"Hagrid's always wanted a dragon, he told me so the very first time I ever met him," said Harry.

"But it's against our laws," said Ron. "Dragon breeding was outlawed by the Warlocks' Convention of 1709, everyone knows that. It's hard to stop Muggles from noticing us if we're keeping dragons in the back garden – anyway, you can't tame dragons, it's dangerous. You should see the burns Charlie's got off wild ones in Romania."

"But there aren't any wild dragons in Britain?" asked Harry.

"Of course there are," said Ron. "Common Welsh Green and Hebridean Blacks. The Ministry of Magic has a job hushing them up, I can tell you. Our kind have to keep putting spells on Muggles who've spotted them, to make them forget."

"So what on earth's Hagrid up to?" said Hermione.

Percy went down to Hagrid's cabin later. On the way there Malfoy tried following him but he managed to lose Malfoy in the moving stair cases.

Hearing shuffling behind the door he raised his hand and knocked three times.

"Who is it"? came Hagrid's voice. 

"Perseus!"  

Hagrid came out quickly shutting the door behind him making sure Percy couldn't see anything.

"You should be goin' to bed now." 

"I heard about the pet you had, and I wanted to see it."

Hagrid looked nervous. "I don have a pet Percy"

"Hagrid just let me see it you're going to show Harry and his friends later are you not?"

"yeh yer right." Hagrid finally gave in and opened the front door. The shack was quite small for someone of Hagrid's size, but overall it seemed quite cozy even with the slobbery mess of a dog on the floor next to him.

"Where is it?" Percy asked as Hagrid pointed to the pot behind him that was over the fire.

That's when Percy and Hagrid heard another knock on the door. Hagrid asked who it was again and seemed to let no one in. That's when Percy realized Harry's cloak and grabbed at seemingly thin air as he reviled the three other kids in front of him all looking at him in shock.