4. Captured

Now I was just as smart as before. I had absolutely no idea where Bucky was. Before, it had been a coincidence to bump into him, but I doubted that it would happen again. The good thing was that I was quite conspicuous because of my dyed red hair. So, if Bucky decided to look for me, he would easily find me. It was already evening and I had carefully sneaked out of Stark Tower. Steve had agreed to me looking for Bucky, but he had told me to let him accompany me. Of course I didn't want that. I wanted to be alone with Bucky. That was the only chance for him to remember me again. I'm sure he wanted to kill Steve, but he had agreed to let me go. So, it was better to go and see him without an escort.
Deep in my heart, I felt that the memories had not been completely erased. There had to be a solution and I would be the one to find it.
Then I remembered something that I had been trying to suppress. Something that had once saved my life. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and concentrated on the sounds around me. The clanging of streetlights, cars on the street, people talking, a dog barking. And there was something else; a deep breathing, probably through a mask. That had to be Bucky. I ran after the sound and followed it until I arrived at a dark, dirty alley, but no one was there. I frowned in confusion. Had my hearing deceived me? Suddenly I felt a hand being pressed over my mouth. I tried to defend myself with all my strength, but the person was much stronger and bigger than me. I screamed as loud as I could, which only led to the attacker putting his hand on my nose. After a short time, everything went black in front of my eyes.

***
When I opened my eyes, I realized that my head was throbbing. I blinked a few times to get used to the little bit of light. My wrists were burning from the ropes they were tied with. I lost all courage. If Hydra had found me, I was lost. I wouldn't escape this time. Then I saw someone standing in the corner, his eyes turned towards me. He was too far away to recognize him. The stranger took a few steps towards my chair and suddenly I froze. Bucky looked at me with a blank expression.
"Bucky?", I asked quietly and my voice trembled. He narrowed his eyes. "Why are you searching for me?"
I didn't know what to say. What should I tell him? That we had known each other? That we were in love?
"I just wanted to talk to you", I stammered.
"Give me one reason why I shouldn't just kill you."
He came closer and stood directly in front of me. Then he stretched out his arm and grabbed my throat. He squeezed tighter and tighter. Plea... please J... James", I gasped and suddenly he let go of me. His eyes widened and he stumbled back.
"Connie?"