1943: Captain America

When I woke up, my head was throbbing like crazy. Steve was sitting by my bed and looked at me questioningly. "What?" I wanted to know.
He sighed. "Can you explain to me why Bucky had to carry you home yesterday?"
I was horrified. "You were watching us?"
"No, I just happened to see it. So?"
Now I was the one who sighed. "I've had a bit to drink."
"You've been drinking? Con, why did you do that? It's not good for you."
"Please don't scream at me Steve."
"I'm not screaming."
"But it's so loud." My headache was killing me.
Now he was smiling a little. "Now you can see that drinking isn't good, little sister."
"Let me die in peace, short solider," I mumbled and pointed to the door. I just wanted to close my eyes again.
"But you have a visitor."
Immediately I was truly awake. "Who?"
"Who do you think?"
No! Bucky couldn't see me now. Not in this state.
"Send him away and tell him I'm still asleep."
"Too late." Bucky had already entered the room.
I quickly pulled the blanket over my head.
"Nooo, go away."
I felt the mattress sinking down when Bucky sat next to me.
"Hey," he said softly.
"Hey," came my muffled voice from under the blanket.
I heard the door close; Steve had probably left us alone. I carefully put the blanket aside.
"I'm so sorry about yesterday. That was really embarrassing."
He smiled. "It was quite funny."
"Really? I don't remember anything at all. What did I say?
"Nothing special."
I looked at him suspiciously.
"Well, you called me Bucky."
I winced. "You've heard wrong. I definitely did not call you that."
"Yes, you did."
"No, I didn't."
"Whatever you say, doll."
I stroked through my hair. "Why are you here, James?"
"I wanted to check on you."
"But that's not all, right?"
He sighed and looked away. "I have a mission and need to leave in a few hours. I just wanted to see you again."
"Is the mission dangerous?"
"I will survive it." But when I looked at his face, I wasn't sure if he was telling me the truth. He seemed kind of sad to me.
I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. "Promise me you will return."
He smiled. "I promise, doll."

***

It had now been 2 days since Bucky had left. Steve had now been selected for an experiment. A serum was going to be tested on him and we both was really excited. Of course I was scared as well, but at least I was allowed to stand by Steve's side while a man tied him to a machine. As I looked around, I saw many scientists and a woman with brown curls. It was Peggy Carter; an agent Steve had told me a lot about. I believed that he had feelings for her and it looked like she had feelings too.

Now the door of the device to which Steve was attached was closed. We watched this happen with bated breath.

Then it was finished and the machine was opened again. I looked at Steve with an open mouth. He had clearly grown in size and muscles.

***

A week later I met Bonnie, who looked at me with wide eyes. "Have you seen Steve's new poster?" She handed me a piece of paper with Steve on it. He was wearing a blue outfit and carried a sign with the colors blue, red and a white star. "Captain America will save us all" was written in big black letters above him. I had to laugh. From one day to the next, Steve had become a sensation. "Do you think you could ask Steve out with me again?"

I looked at Bonnie with raised eyebrows. "Um, no. He's got something going on with Peggy right now. Sorry."

She looked down, disappointed. "Well, okay, I figured as much. But maybe you're lucky in love. The soldiers have come back from the mission."

I immediately ran to the window. I searched for Bucky, but I couldn't see him.

I ran outside to get a better overview. Panic slowly took hold of me. "Where's James?" I asked one of the soldiers, who looked at me sympathetically. "He's been captured. Just like 53 other men." I slapped my hands over my mouth. It couldn't be. Bucky had promised me that I would see him again. It couldn't end like this.

I sank to the floor. How was I supposed to go on without him? I didn't want to admit it, but I had recently developed strong feelings for Bucky.

Now he was gone and I couldn't do anything about it.

"Connie?" I heard Steve's voice behind me. I jumped up and hugged him tightly. "Oh Steve. Bucky is..."

"I know. I know," he replied sadly. "And that's why I'm going to free him."