10: Assassination

A few days ago, some of the Avengers were up to sign the contracts. Tony had tried to convince me several times, but without success.

Today was the official recognition of the contracts in Vienna, which Natasha had left for early in the morning.

I sat excitedly in front of the TV and waited for the news to be reported. The conference itself was not recorded, so none of us knew what was being said. Then the picture finally changed and we saw the building where the conference had taken place, but it was completely destroyed. I called Steve and quickly turned up the volume. "A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. The infamous Hydra agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations." I slapped my hand in front of my mouth when I saw a sign of Bucky. My heart stopped for a moment. That couldn't be. Bucky was here with us. I ran to his room and knocked wildly on the door. When no one answered, I pushed it open. But Bucky wasn't here. His stuff was gone. Suddenly I heard footsteps and turned around hopefully, but it was only Steve. "I spoke to Natasha on the phone. She's fine." I nodded slightly. At least that was good news. "I don't understand. Why would Bucky do that? He could remember everything again, couldn't he?"

Steve shrugged his shoulders. "I have no idea." I shook my head in confusion. It couldn't be.

***

I stood at the top of Stark Tower and looked down. Everything seemed so small, so far away. The ring on my finger shone in the light of the setting sun and tears welled up in my eyes. I quickly took my cell phone out of my pocket and dialed Bucky's number. Of course he didn't answer, but I left him a message any-way. "James, please call me. I know you didn't do it." The tears started to run down my cheeks. My chest felt so empty as if someone had cut my heart out. I could not help the sobbing that shook my body. Everything hurt so much.

"James. I really need to talk to you. Probably someone set you up or something. We will find a solution, together. I won't let anybody hurt you or anything hurt you. I will defend you till the day I die. Don't let them separate us. I need you, James. Please, call me." I quickly wiped away the tears and let myself sink to the ground. "I love you, you know that right? Oh god, I love you so damn much."
It was as if someone had ripped my heart out of my chest. Every breath was more painful than the next. I needed Bucky, we belonged together. 

"Hey," I heard a voice behind me. I quickly wiped away the tears so that Steve wouldn't notice that I had been crying.

"Hey. What's up?"

"We've heard that Bucky is in Bucharest at the moment and want to go there."

Without even a second's hesitation, I replied "Good. I'm coming with you." Steve nodded slowly and I looked at him in confusion. I could have sworn he was trying to change my mind. "You are okay with me accompanying you?"

"Yeah. I know how much you two mean to each other. You're probably the one he's most likely to talk to." He held out his hand to me, which I took with a small smile. We would prove Bucky's innocence together and then we could all go home together. 

***

"I won't be visiting you for a few days now, Loki. We have a mission." Loki smiled at me, which I had really not expected. "Good luck with that."

"Thanks. See you soon then."

 I heard him sigh. "Well, actually, I don't know if we'll ever see each other again. My brother Thor is taking me to Asgard tomorrow to serve my sentence."

I swallowed hard. I kind of liked Loki. "We will still see each other. For sure." I gave him a small smile. "Goodybe, Loki."

"Goodbye, Darling."