16. Therapy

Bucky's pov

"Come in."

I entered the room and sat down on the sofa. This was my fifth hour of therapy this month. I would have preferred not to go at all. But I had to, because the psychologist had to confirm that I was no longer a threat to humanity.

"How are you, James?"

"Fine," I lied.

"Are you sure? Because you don't look fine."

"I said I'm fine," I replied, annoyed.

"Okay. Are you still having nightmares?"

I looked around the room, bored. I hated talking about my feelings and especially to a woman I didn't really know.

"James, I asked you a question. Are you still having nightmares?"

"No."

She sighed and wrote something down in her notebook.

"We've been doing this long enough that I can tell when you're lying."

"Oh, come on. Really? You're gonna do the notebook thing?"

"You don't talk. I write."

I hated her methods.

"Okay. Okay. I had another nightmare the other day, but that's it."

She gave me a worried look. "Look... one day, you're gonna have to open up and understand that some people really do want to help you and that they can be trusted."

"I trust people."

"Yeah? Give me your phone." I handed it to her hesitantly and groaned. Then I let myself fall back onto the sofa again. She tapped around on it a bit and then looked at me, shaking her head.

"You don't have ten phone numbers on this thing. I am the only person you have called all week. That is so sad. You're alone.

You have no history, no family..."

"Are you lashing out at me, Doc?

Because that's really unprofessional, you know? All right, give me a break. I'm trying, okay?

This isn't..." I sighed. "This is new for me. I didn't have a moment to deal with anything, you know?"

She started pressing on my cell phone again. "You're ignoring calls... Good start James. Who calls you? A girl? Maybe a girlfriend?"

"Not a girlfriend."

"Oh, right. I forgot. You're single."

I stared at her.

"So, what's her name?"

I stayed silent and looked out the window.

"James!"

"Connie."

"Tell me about her."

I rolled my eyes. This woman was so annoying. I just wanted her to leave me alone.

"I would rather not."

"James, you have to cooperate. It's important."

"Fine," I hissed. "What do you want to know?"

"Everything. How did you meet. Did you love her? Or do you still do? And why."

I leaned back and thought back to the first time I saw Connie.

"I had training and was doing push-ups when I saw her. She stared at me and when she saw that I had noticed, she blushed. She looked so cute. I went up to her and asked about it, which only made her face turn even more red. She told me straight to my face to shut up."