13: Wakanda

"Good morning, doll." Bucky gently stroked my hair as I slowly opened my eyes. "How did you sleep?"

"Great. I'll always sleep well when i am lying in your arms." He smiled and put his hand on my cheek. I was so grateful that Shuri and her people had managed to help him, that he could never become a winter soldier again. And most of all that he was now here with me. "And how did you sleep?"

"Fine."

"No nightmares?" His hesitation told me the answer. "Do you wanna talk about it?" Slowly, he shook his head.

"Not yet."

"Okay." I wanted to give him as much time as possible. He had been through so much. I stood up and looked out the window. The landscape was beautiful and peaceful. The green trees, the small blue river... This was exactly the place where he needed to be. "It's so beautiful here."

Bucky pulled me close from behind and put his arms around my waist. "You're beautiful." I felt his lips brush over my neck as he stroked my finger with his thumb. Then, he stopped. "Where's the ring?"

"It was taken from me when I was captured by Ross. But, damn. I should have gotten it back. I'm so stupid."

"Don't say that, doll."

"But it's true. I should have..." He kissed me and I fell silent.

"No. You're anything but stupid. I will just get you a new one. The first one wasn't good enough for you anyway."

"What do you mean?" He chuckled. "Well, I didn't have much money as a soldier. The stone wasn't even real. I'll buy you a real diamond someday."

I smiled at him and was about to reply when he said "I have to go. T'Challa wants to see me."

"See you later?" He pressed a kiss to my lips. "Of course."

A short time later, I also left the hut and met Shuri outside.

"Good morning," she greeted me.

"Morning. Can I help you with something? I want to contribute somewhere, you know."

"You don't have to. Just enjoy your time with your boyfriend. You deserve it." A broad smile appeared on her face. "Do you think he'll propose to you soon?" I hadn't expected this question at all. I stared at her and blinked. "Uhm... well we were already engaged once."

"Yes but that was then. A lot has changed. And besides, you've lost your ring."

"You overheard us."

"What? Nooo." I had to laugh. "You definitely have."

She smiled innocently. "However. You know, you could get married here. At our place. You in a beautiful white dress and me as the bridesmaid." I grinned. "Nice imagination but... Let's not rush things."

***

A few minutes later, a woman walked towards me. Shuri had already left me to go back to her work. I didn't know the woman yet, because there were a lot of people here, but she smiled at me in a friendly. "Connie, there is someone who wants to see you." I nodded and followed her quickly to Shuri's laboratory. When I got there, my eyes widened. A few of the Avengers were gathered there. After hugging Steve, Natasha and Wanda, I looked questioningly at Shuri, who was standing in front of Vision and looking at a diagram at the same time. "What's going on here?"

"This stone inside Vision's head is an infinity stone," Wanda answered. "Thanos is searching for these stones. We want to destroy it, but without harming Vision in the process. That's why Shuri will take the stone out of his head."

"Infinity stone? What exactly is that? And who is Thanos?"

"There are six of them. Space, Reality, Power, Soul, Mind and Time. These stones are said to contain a lot of power and to have great abilities. And if someone has all the stones together, they are invincible. Thanos is a titan. He thinks that the universe is too populated and wants to use the stones to wipe out half of the life forms," Steve explained.

"How many stones does he already have?"

"Four. All that's missing now is the Stone of Vision and the Time Stone of Doctor Strange."

"What about Loki's stone? Does he really have it? I have heard that Loki was able to escape from Asgard with the stone."

"That's true," we heard a voice from outside. A short time later, thor entered the lab, his head lowered. "Loki tried to stop Thanos, but failed."

"Failed? And where is he now?"

"He's dead." Startled, I slapped my hand over my mouth. "Oh my... I'm so sorry. I..." I turned to the side because I could no longer look at anyone. I had really liked Loki and now that he had really done a heroic deed, I couldn't even thank him. I had no idea that his death would have such an impact on me.

"Are you okay?" Bucky asked me quietly and put his hand on my back. "Yeah... I just... It's all so much. The Infinity Stones, Thanos, Loki's death, the end of the world... It's a lot to take in."

"You knew Loki?" Thor asked in a low voice and I nodded. "I visited him a few times in the Stark Tower prison. At first he was very cold but then... I don't know. We kind of became friends." Thor raised his eyebrows. "Friends? You two? Loki never had any friends."

"Well... things change. People change. And..."

"Guys... something's entered the atmosphere," Shuri informed us and looked around in panic. "I need time."

"How long?" Steve wanted to know.

"As long as you can give me."

Steve turned around. "Wanda, as soon as the stone's out of his head...you blow it to hell."

She nodded quickly. "I will."

"Evacuate the city. Engage all defense procedures." T'Challa pointed to Steve. "And get this man a shield."