1944: Return

When the gong sounded, I was wide awake. It meant that the captured soldiers had finally arrived. I quickly put on my coat and stormed out.

Several soldiers had already lined up to greet the others. When I saw Steve, I had to smile. He really had managed to free the soldiers. Then I saw him. Bucky was running at Steve's side and looked healthy.

I started to run towards him. I was so happy to see him that I forgot about everyone else around me. It was just Bucky and me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. Then I pressed my lips to his.

For a moment, nothing happened. It was as if time stood still. But then, he wrapped his arms around my waist and returned the kiss.

At that moment I knew I was in love with James Buchanan Barnes and that he felt the same way.

When we separated, he smiled at me. "I missed you, doll."

"I missed you too, Bucky."

Bucky turned around and called "Let's hear it for Captain America." Everyone cheered. I took Steve in my arms. "Thank you, Steve. Thank you so much."

***

We all went to a bar together, where I had the chance to get to know Peggy. I immediately liked her. She was very nice.

Steve was talking to some men and Bucky and I sat at a table together. He was watching me the whole time and grinning.

"What?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing," he replied, shaking his head. "It's just...that was a nice surprise."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you kissing me."

"You didn't like it?"

"No, no, I liked it."

I had to smile.

"You're beautiful, Connie."

I blushed and looked down.

"Hey," he said, putting his fingers under my chin, forcing me to look into his eyes. "You're beautiful, doll." He leaned towards me and kissed me again. 

Suddenly he stood up. I looked at him questioningly as he slowly got to his knees. He reached for my hand, took a ring out of his pocket and smiled. "Connie, will you marry me?"

My heart stopped beating. I hadn't expected that at all. I had no idea what to say. "Bucky I... we've only known each other for a few weeks."

"I know. But my capture made me realize that I could die at any moment. I don't want to wait any longer. I know you're the one for me."

I looked at him in amazement. He drove me crazy. "Yes," I whispered.

Bucky grinned. He slipped the ring on my finger and kissed me again.

"Ahem," said a voice.

We turned our heads and saw Steve.

"Do you mind if I sit down?"

"No, go ahead," Bucky said.

Steve sat down and looked at me.

"We're getting married," I exhaled happily and showed him the ring.

Steve's mouth dropped open and he stared at us.

"Congratulations," he finally said and took me into a hug. Then he also hugged Bucky. "Take care of her, Bucky"

"I will," he promised with a big grin.

***

That evening, we lay in my bed together. His arm was around my shoulder and his fingers were drawing small circles on my skin.

"Are you tired, doll?"

"Not really," I replied.

He took my hand and held it tightly.

"Tell me something about you, James."

"What do you want to know?"

"Everything."

He began to laugh. "Well, there's not that much to tell. My parents died when I was young, I helped Steve deal with a couple of guys and we've been friends ever since, and now I'm here."

I took his hand and interlocked our fingers.

"Sounds like you're a hero. First you save my brother and then you fight for your country too."

"It's not as heroic as it sounds, doll."

"Don't say that. You're a hero. And Steve too."

Bucky chuckled but then he became serious.

"Doll?"

"Hmm?"

I looked him in the eye uncertainly.

"I'm gonna be gone in one week."

I looked at him in shock. "What? You've only just come back." Tears formed in my eyes. Bucky put his hand on my cheek to calm me down.

"I know. But they need me. It's my job, doll."

I looked down and nodded.

"I'm just so afraid of losing you. What if something happens to you?"

"Don't worry, I'll be fine."

"That's what you said last time."

"Doll, hey. Look at me."
I did. 
"I will always come back to you, no matter what. And then I'm going to marry you."