Chapter Two

I opened the door, stepping inside as I kicked off my shoes. Putting my headphones back in my backpack as I made my way up the stairs towards the bathroom after grabbing my clothes from the couch. Skye followed me from her room.

"Where were you?"

"Out" I replied as I turned the shower on, setting my clothes on the counter.

While waiting for the water to heat up, I grabbed my toothbrush from the cup by the sink and began to brush my teeth.

"What happened last night?" She asked, leaning back against the now closed door.

I met her gaze through the reflection in the mirror as I finished up brushing my teeth. Setting my toothbrush back into the cup I turned to face her.

"Caroline broke up with me."

"oh."

"Yeah... I'm fine."

I stripped from my clothes, not caring if she saw. She turned around anyway until she heard me step into the shower.

"I'm here if you need to talk, Nik." She spoke before she left the bathroom.

I sighed, leaning forward against the cold shower wall for a moment. This sucked. After a few minutes, I washed up and quickly finished getting ready. I met them all at the door as I picked my backpack up from the floor and slid my shoes back on.

"Alright let's go." Nyx spoke as she tossed Skye the keys to her car and grabbed her own from the hook.

I rode with Nyx as Riv and Caroline went with Skye. The drive to school was short lived. Honestly we could've walked. Once we got there, Nyx dropped me off and I waited for Skye to park, Riv made a beeline for the door. We all walked to our lockers together. I started to open mine when I heard Bonnie and Elena approaching. I motioned to Caroline as I noticed. She went over to them as Skye and I shared a look before we followed, catching the tail end of their conversation.About Matt. I roll my eyes, earning an elbow to the ribs from Skye.

"Behave." She scolds under her breath,

I go to respond but Matt appears out of nowhere, greeting Elena before sulking off, Poor guy. Hasn't gotten over her yet. Caroline makes a comment about the awkwardness of the situation and I give her a look. She shuts up, and walks off to class. I follow her for a moment.

"Care wait..." i say out of earshot of our friends.

She stops and turns to me. "Im sorry for last night Care,"  I reach up to move the hair from her face pushing it behind her ear "I don't want things to end between us. I love you and I'll do what I need to, to prove it."

She looks at me for a moment her gaze softening. "I dont either... I got scared I dont...."

"Our friends dont have to know." I spoke quikly as I dropped my hand back down to my side"Not until youre ready."

"Alright... See me at lunch." She spoke again before walking to her class

I returned to our friends, leaning into Skye as she gives me a small glare.

'Hey guys" Skye greets the two of them as they start talking about their respective summer breaks.

As they talk I notice Elena struggles with her locker. I gently reach over, pulling the stuck door open for her, I lowered my voice to a whisper so Skye and Bonnie couldn't hear.

"Hey, If you're ever needing to let that wall down and not be okay I'm here if you need someone to talk to Lena.."

She responded with a small smile. I could practically smell the emotions coming off of her. 'Thanks Nikki"

I pouted instantly. "Hey I thought we were over that nickname" I made a point to whine out the word trying to get her to smile again.

Unlucky for me skye and Bonnie joined in on the fun, No one knew fhe real reason behind me hating the nickname. I played it off as just being annoyed by it.

"What and miss that adorable pout of yours?" Bonnie poked fun and Skye snorted as she poked my face.

I glared at them playfully as we all parted ways and headed off to our respective classes. Once lunch rolled around I met Caroline out at her car. We leaned against it, watching the bustling of students as they enjoyed the break.

"Nik ive been thinking and I think we should tell our friends." She spoke after a moment.

"Does this mean I can be your boyfriend again?" I asked, smiling as I looked at her.

She giggled slightly meeting my gaze "yes you dork."

I grabbed her hand, pulling her closer as I set a hand on her hip. "May I kiss you Caroline Forbes?"

She brought herself closer, pressing me back into the car as our lips were barely touching. "Such a gentleman Nikolai Kepler."

She leaned in connecting our lips finally as I returned the kiss. We ended up making out for a bit before the bell rang signaling classes beginning again. I laced our fingers together as I walked her back to her next class. Kissing her softly before leaving to my own.

The first half of the school day went by in a blur. After our next class we had a bit of free time as i walked around in search of my friends. Catching Bonnie and Elena talking about the attractiveness of the new guy. Well Bonnie and Elena were, Caroline gave her two sense but her gaze looked over to me as she spoke. I headed over to them a smile on my face as I met her gaze.

"Whatcha talkin bout?" I asked, causing Bonnie to jump slightly as she turned towards me.

"hot new guy." She responded her gaze returning to the guy.

I looked over as well. He smelled faintly of  blood, not human though. Focusing, I heard him compel the secretary. Great. A vampire. Just what we needed, It was bad enough Bonnie had started to smell like magic. Now a new vamp is in town? Nyx had said it was safe here.

We scattered quickly as he turned around. Just in time for us to watch Jeremy head into the bathroom. Elena immediately followed angrily after him. I could smell the pot on him. I tuned out the lecture Elena was no doubt doling out as I went back to where this vamp was. He was walking down the hall towards us. Our eyes met for a moment before he was almost barreled over by Elena. I rolled my eyes again hearing and watching their awkward interaction. Can't blame the girl for admiring him. He's definitely hot. I let out a breath hearing Caroline's voice as she asked Bonnie who the new guy was. Dont get jealous Nik. I moved back to her side, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. She leaned into my touch, the smile returning to my face. We all walked to our next class. History with Tanner.

I sat in the back corner in my usual seat. Tanner was his usual asshole self. If it wasn't for Nyx I would've gotten rid of the bastard already. She had forbade me from harming anyone, even if they deserved it. I understand where she's coming from, but I have no qualms with ending him. As he started the lecture I zoned him out and drew in my notebook. I caught the new guy's name as some girls gossiped about him in hushed whispers.

Stefan Salvatore. Wonder if Nyx knows him. Or of him. I texted her under my desk.

To Mother Vamp- the name Salvatore mean anything to you? Specifically a Stefan?

I don't wait for a response as class ends with the sound of the bell. Tanner being the dick he is, assigns us homework. I pick up my stuff, heading to leave but Skye stops me.

"Come watch me at practice?"

I look over to where Caroline is, talking with bonnie and elena. She'll be there too. She's the cheer captain after all. Returning my gaze to Skye I nod.

"I wont pass up an opportunity to watch my girlfriend in uniform." I grinned as i pick up my backpack.

She looks at me a moment then over to caroline. "Good you two worked out whatever fight you had last night."

I nod, my eyes not straying from carolines form. She finally looks back at me, a smile returning to her face as well. A slight blush on her cheeks as Bonnie and Elena question her about us. She tells them about us dating over the summer and that im currently her boyfriend. Skye and I move over to the group as we all walk off towards our lockers before we head outside.