Chapter Nine

I let out a shaky breath, letting my mask down, forgetting nyx was also outside with me. I leaned down, pushing my hands against my knees as I tried to calm myself down again. Connor was here. He was with Skye. In our house. He had talked to Caroline. He knew she was my girlfriend. He had access to her now. Connor was here.

"NIkolai?" Nyx spoke.

I snapped my head in her direction, meeting her gaze. Fuck. I didn't realize she was here. Fuck. I shouldve had better awareness of my surroundings. I stood up straighter and willed myself to be calm. The sound of his laughter from inside the house pushed me over the edge again. I fell to my knees as I tried to control my breathing. My breaths came out in short puffs as I went into another panic.

Nyx was at my side in an instant as she moved to sit in front of me.

"NIk just breath. Follow my breathing." She spoke as she reached out to put a hand on my shoulder.

I violently flinched away from her touch, looking at her with fear in my eyes. She held her hands out, palms facing me. I moved back away from her as I sat on the grass. My phone continued to go off in my pocket. I shakily dug it out as I answered it without looking.

"H..Hello?" I spoke, my voice coming out in puffs as my breathing got worse.

'NIkolai? Are you alright?" Rebekahs voice came through the line.

Nyx seemd to recognize the voice as she paused and looked at me differently.

"Cant... Cant breathe.... I.... Fuck... Panic attack..." I forced out as I looked at Nyx.

"Woah little one." She spoke softly through the phone.

I choked out a sob, my body shaking as I tried to get in a full breath.

"Nikolai." This time it was Elijahs voie.

I didnt pay attention to the way Nyx had visibly tensed hearing their voices on my phone. She leaned back, sitting on her heels as she watched me.

"'Lijah..." I forced out between breaths.

"Little prince, listen to me. I need you to name 5 things you can see around you." His voice was calm and strong through the line.

I looked around, forcing myself to focus on the things nearby."Nyx... The The car... The mailbox... The clouds... A... A bird..." I spoke out between short breaths.

"Good. Now Four things you can touch. List them off for me."

I was able to take one larger breath. "The grass... my phone... clothes... keys..."

Nyx held her keys out to me as I grabbed them, the cool metal tingling against my hand, the keys rattling together as I shook.

"Thats good. Keep going little one. Give me three things you can hear."

"The neighbors thoughts... A car engine stalling... The ignition of a lighter..."

I could feel myself starting to slowly calm down as I responded.

"Now two things you can smell."

"Carolines scent... Fresh coffee..."

I took a few deep shaky breaths. My eyes met Nyx's as she dug into her pocket, taking out a cough drop as she held it out to me. I recognized the pattern now. This was a grounding exercise. It was helping thankfully. I took the cough drop as Elijah spoke again.

"One thing you can taste." He spoke gently.

I shakily unwrapped the cough drop and put it in my mouth, the gross medicinal flavor coating my tastebuds.