The Fight

I drove by Paul's to pick him up before school starts. Man he's in a sour mood this morning! At least he thanked me for the ride before he stomped off to class. Schools pretty boring. I'm sure glad this is my last year of school. I absolutely hate Math. I'm horrible at it. I'm just passing. Ugh! Thank goodness that's the bell! I grab my books and walk out to find Paul talking to Jared Cameron. He's cool. "What's up Jared? How come you cut your hair?" I ask him. "None of your business. Why do you cut your hair? Your part Quileute and yet you cut your hair?" Paul laughs at that. "Ok ok sorry I asked. What were you talking about before I showed up?" I ask. "The damn Cullens in Forks. They should have never come to this area. They should go back to where they came from." Jared snarls. Paul nods his head in agreement with a scowl on his face. I swat Paul's arm. "Dude, you know I just was telling you how much Dr.Cullen has done for Forks! There's no need to bash on him!" I say. Paul pushes me saying "Don't touch me you filthy Cullen lover!" Jared stands there starting to shake a little. I push Paul back. I'm not taking his crap! "What the hell's your problem?! I'm just stating the facts. You don't need to get all judgmental on someone you don't even know is all I'm saying!" He throws a punch, smashing his fist into my cheek. That's it! I throw a punch hitting his nose. That's of course when my math teacher, who does not like me, comes out of the classroom. In time to see me throw a punch. He yells, "What is the meaning of this?! Violence is not acceptable! Mr. Cameron what happened here?!" "Well Mr. Swiftwater, Rowan threw the first punch screaming at Paul about how great the Cullens are." He looks sincerely at Mr. Swiftwater. I'm shocked! What the hell?! "I didn't throw the first punch!" I stammer out but Mr. Swiftwater doesn't want to hear it. "As I can see the blood dripping from Mr. Lahotes nose I'll be sending Paul to the nurse and Ms. Swan to the principals office. And the police will be called. Be on your way now. Jared go to the principals office as well for questioning. He waves us on. I walk to the principals office steaming mad. It takes all I have in me to not tackle Jared now! He lied! To get me in trouble! "Guess you'll think twice about defending the Cullens now won't you?! Jared smirks. I just shake my head and keep on walking. We get to the principals office and Mr. Howell is red in the face yelling at us. "This is the last time you get in a fight in my school Rowan Swan! You are suspended! Be glad you're not 18 yet! This could've gone on your record permanently! I've called your father and he'll be here shortly! The Quileute Police officers come and handcuff me and search me and take me to the back of the squad car. I see Dad fuming as he goes to talk to the Principal. I didn't even get to tell them my side! We drive to the Quileute Police Station and they take my picture and get my fingerprints. They take my cuffs off and I'm put in an empty cell. I sit and wait for Dad to come bail me out. I wait for a while then the one police officer that cuffed me lets me out and leads me to the main office where Dads waiting. He looks so disappointed in me. He says "Let's go" and I follow him out to Dads police cruiser. "I gave my set of keys to your car to my coworker Carl. He's driving your car home." Dad says. "You're grounded. For several weeks at least. No going out with friends. No hiking. No skateboarding. No guitar. You come home after school at Forks high and when you get home right after you're going to clean the house and make supper and do homework. I know you work throughout the week too. So school, work, chores, and sleep. That's all you're doing for at least two weeks." He continues on. I interrupt him. "Dad I never got to say my side. They just took what Jared said and didn't hear my side." "Well what is your side?" He asks. "Paul threw the first punch. He was talking shit about the Cullens and I said about how much Dr. Cullens done for this town and that he shouldn't judge people he doesn't even know and he threw a punch at me." I explain. "You're still grounded. For a week. You got kicked out of your school kiddo. For fighting. You should have walked away when you saw how mad Paul was getting. "I understand Dad. Thanks for hearing my side of the story." He nods and ruffles my head. "I love you kiddo. And I'm proud of you for sticking up for the Cullen's. Just didn't need to get into a fist fight about it." He chuckles out. We get home and I straighten up the house and make an early supper before I head to work. I make spaghetti and meatballs with Italian cheese bread. Dad and I eat together quietly. When we're done eating I do the dishes and put the leftovers away. Then it's off to work I go. Thankfully I'm allowed to take my car otherwise I'd be walking in the rain to work.