[10] strangers with s'getti rings

10. Strangers With S'getti Rings

"can't you see the way her face lights up when she sees you?"

DANI HELD OUT HER HAND. Tara held up two fingers. Scissors beats paper. Again.

"Stop doing paper." She whispered in order to retain the quiet of the barn.

"I was hoping I could use reverse psychology." Dani replied.

"Hey." Maggie's voice broke through the silence. "Everyone..." She opened the door wider, and, where Sasha should have followed alone, another man entered. He was tall, well groomed and dressed in clean clothes, something that group could have only dreamed of. "This is Aaron." She told them.

Dani reached over Tara, grabbing her gun that laid beside the other and holding it tight to her thigh, all as Daryl stormed outside, checking around cautiously. Tara jumped up, giving the woman a nod as she followed, and checking the outsides once more. Dani refused to trust strangers so easily. After what happened at Terminus and in the church... She didn't need a repeat.

"We met him outside. He's by himself." Maggie clarified. The man looked around wide-eyed, understandably nervous as he looked at the group. They looked like cavemen. "We took his weapons and we took his gear." Daryl ignored her words as he patted the man down.

Raising her gun, Dani pointed it at him with narrowed eyes. He didn't seem as physically unnerving as Gareth had been. Then again, she wasn't leaving anything to chance.

"Hi." Aaron nodded, his hands up in surrender.

Judith began to cry, her wails drawing everyone's attention. Her father handed her to his son, Carl already reaching for her.

"It's nice to meet you." He tried again, stepping forward. Dani cocked her gun, freezing his movements.

"You said he had a weapon?" Rick asked the two women, ignoring the extra completely. Maggie headed forward, handing off the small gun to the leader, all the while Dani assessed the stranger. He really was clean. He must have a good home somewhere. Somewhere with running water. That was always a plus.

Rick tucked the gun into the back of his pants, eyeing the man carefully. "There something you need?"

"He has a camp nearby." Sasha explained. "He wants us to audition for membership."

"Audition?" Dani raised a brow. "I can wiggle my ears, that a good enough talent for you?"

Aaron breathed a laugh. "I wish there was another word. Audition makes it sound like we're some kind of a dance troupe. That's only on Friday nights." He joked.

The room stayed uncomfortably silent. Well... Until Dani piped up again. "I never did have any rhythm." She mumbled to herself, keeping her gun trained on the strange man.