Chapter 2

Juliet 

"You guys are fucking idiots, at least you're winning idiots!" The man – Jacob I think Mateo introduced him as – shouted. He carried two drinks, one in each hand raised high towards the ceiling, inviting everyone to yet another toast. At this point I've learned that you could say just about anything and call it a toast, like this insult wrapped in a thin veil of a compliment. I sound so pessimistic; I hope Mateo hasn't noticed. For every weirdly sticky handshake and unexpected hug, I smiled and mirrored whatever I received, except the crude comments of course. I had my limits.

Mateo and I were probably one of the few people not drinking at this party, I felt kind of bad. No doubt he wants to let his dirty blond hair down and relax after such a taxing game.

"Hey," I turned to him, and he leaned down a bit closer to my face, trying to hear me over all the ruckuses.

"You know I can drive later if you want? Please, have a drink with your friends and enjoy yourself," He couldn't deny he wanted to join in the whole night, having subbed out the keg beer for non-alcoholic sparkling cider at every drinking opportunity, which seemed to occur every five minutes.

"Really? Thank you, you're the best!" His excited eyes met mine, a big grin spread across his face. In all his excitement, he leans down and kisses my cheek. Did I die a little bit? Perchance.

"I'll be right back, going to change this out for something less diabetes inducing," I laughed at his comment, sounding like all the others he had made throughout the night, hating things too sweet. He slipped into the crowd, leaving me standing alone against the wall now. Without him by my side, it's as if the reason for me being here went away, not for myself as it was obvious but for everyone else. The looks from people that passed by, some curious and some just judging. I don't deny that I don't scream party, my clothing choice making me look more like the pizza delivery waiting for their tip. Something I know for certain as I've worn exactly this when I worked at a pizzeria some years ago. I don't kid myself that I reflect the perfect sorority image either, no matter how dolled up. My parents always said they named me after Juliet for her sensibility and passion, yet I knew that they choose it thinking I would grow up in her image, like my sisters.

Helen, named of course after Helen of Troy from the Iliad and Fleur from Fleur Delacour in Harry Potter. They like to mix the old with the new, appreciating the written word throughout the ages. However, when I came out with my brown unruly waves and locks it was undeniable they had their fingers crossed that one day I would pull a reverse Tangled. It has yet to happen.

"Now that is so much better, I'm already on my second, had to get that sugary mess out of my mouth," Mateo said as he approached me with a plastic cup of what I presume is cold beer, taking a swig.

"I was wondering, could we go somewhere to talk maybe? I promise it'll be quick; you will be back to toasting nonsense in no time," I joked, trying to cut the tension only I felt. I needed to tell him now, not wanting to let him get absolutely plastered as I was about to spill out my most well-kept secret.

"Sure, let's go upstairs, there is a little balcony usually no one's at," He grabbed my hand, starting to lead me upstairs. For every step we took further, through the room, up the stairs and past the small, huddled crowds, my heart continued to accelerate. I tried to focus on our hands, clasped together, it just felt like home to me. The connection I have with him is nothing I've experienced before, all our shared history sweeping over me like a warm, comforting blanket.

We neared the furthest corner of the second floor, here the crowd had lessened, thinning out into just a few people standing along the walls or sitting on the beds in the different bedrooms we passed. Mateo opened a glass door, leading to a small and secluded balcony, looking over the driveway and pond. I walked up to the railing, leaning over it, trying to breath in the cold breeze provided by the outdoors.