Chapter 6

Juliet

I am honestly surprised at what awaited inside the big red-brick house. While it had the all too classic essentials of a frat; keg, beer pong and crowds upon crowds with people packet like sardines in every room, there was also outliers. The house décor and design leaned more against dark academia mixed with hunting cabin esthetic than the worn-out Greek life look surrounding most campuses. Large plush Persian rugs in every room, soft brown leather sofas and chairs, along with a warm yellow hue casted over everything, originating from light sources all around made up of vintage lamps. They undoubtably hired an interior designer, a female interior designer.

"I... didn't expect this," I said to the others as we stood in our little huddle by the wall. We had all gotten ready together at Fleur and Sabrina's apartment, except Jamie that is. She got dropped off by her boyfriend, the Uni's quarterback apparently. I was a bit apprehensive about meeting him considering the treatment I got that awful night, and honestly have gotten for a good chunk of my life from jocks. But he was a real sweetheart and very chatty, telling me all about when he was up against Mateo's team before the summer. I must admit that I enjoyed hearing that The Titans lost their last game of the season against the Colorado states Knights. Cherry on top was perhaps the hit I heard Mateo took in the game, sadly a tackle I missed.

"They've tried rebranding themselves. As you know frats don't have the best of reputations, for good reason. So, with all the heat they've gotten from the governing bodies, they're leaning more into the bro bonding vibe and away from the hazing and constantly tiptoeing the line towards criminal acts," Sabrina explained swinging around the classic red cup.

"By the way guys, sorry I couldn't get ready with you, but you know how it is. Travis's mom had planned this dinner since forever. But look at you all, you look incredible!" Jamie apologized, which was definitely not needed. She also followed her compliment with a very animated gasp as she gawked at us. Her cheeky comment earned a laugh out of every one of us.

She wasn't lying, they all looked fantastic. Fleur had a beautiful wrap-skirt in different shades of blue and a dark blue top, Sabrina was rocking a short mauve leather skirt with a tiny slit at the side, coupled with a simple black spaghetti strapped top. Seeing the massive closets they had at home, they could have pulled out ten fantastic outfits in a matter of minutes. For me, it wasn't as easy...

I usually don't shop as much, mostly because plus size clothing in stores a sad excuse for fashion. Why do these brands insist on that all the skin that should be shown is our shoulder? Considering they never fail to give every shirt a cold-shoulder cut. If I actually want to find some clothes I like, I have to order it online, which I rarely get around to do.

But I did manage to find a dress buried deep inside the closet, a gift from my aunt that I got during my graduation celebration. I remember how she came up to my room after dinner, like an agent trying to not be discovered by the enemy, my mom in this case. She had knocked softly on my bedroom door and left the bag overflowing with pink decorative paper on the floor for me to discover. I love my mom dearly, but she had always been a bit, how do I say... uncomfortable when it comes to my body. It's not in anything she would say, just in looks and gestures. It was apparent I wasn't her spitting image as my sisters.

One way her discomfort showed was in how every dress I've ever gotten from her was usually long sleeved, high neck and ankle long. Nothing like the number I'm currently wearing. A deep green silk dress that hits just above my knees and flatters my larger chest with a cowl neckline, very much outside my comfort zone. But I couldn't deny how my confidence, my poor beaten confidence, had slightly enlarged when I studied myself in the mirror, how the fabric clung onto me just perfectly. Thank the universe for my seamstress aunt.