Record 9 - The story of a fateful Christmas

...

Recording - Hopps 1-I

Christmas is my favorite time of the year! Lights everywhere, decorating the pine tree, cookies, carols....

In the Hopps family we always took Christmas very seriously. After the big, delicious dinner, which we all prepared together, we would get together in litters and put on a show... not to brag, but my Christmas play from '95, "the theft of the Christmas carrot", has never been topped.

This year for the first time I won't be home...my parents are a little...dramatic about it, but they're coping. Not having completed my first year on the force, I still can't ask for vacation... and when I tried to ask for a day off, Chief Bogo kindly reminded me that I took three months off in the spring... so it was out of the question.

The good news is that he will let me go with him to visit the Academy! It will be a nice surprise for Nick, he doesn't suspect a thing.

Stop Recording- Hopps 1-I

...

- So the little toot toot will go to the Academy... excellent and useful! - The fennec fox carefully closed the door connecting the two departments. He sat on the couch with his brandy in hand, waiting for the call that promptly came at 8 pm.

- three, two... - And promptly his phone rang. - Finnick.

- Hey Finn buddy! How's it going over there?

- If by "everything" you mean your "cottontail"...

- You know I didn't just call about her.

- So "she" is the reason? - The fennec smiled mischievously, hearing the nervousness in his friend's voice.

- You know what I mean... Things in general! How's it going over there?

- All ok, your "big grumpy buffalo" boss, has been making her work late, but all good.

- I see... What about her roomie?

- Pretty quiet and unnoticed. You can tell she's another country girl.

- Well, since everything seems fine... Oh Nick, not everything is fine...

- What is it now?

- Your old friend needs some money...

- Finnick, I already sent you my contribution for this month, you know that the nine months at the academy are not paid!

- Ok, ok, As you want... And I thought you'd be in a better mood since "Purple eyes" is... oops...

- What's up with her?

- Oh no, nothing, I'd better let you rest.

- Take 200 you know where! Now tell me.

- Make it 250!

- Finn!

- Well, if you want to make it 300...

- Ok, you win, 250, now what were you going to say? Don't tell me she's on a dangerous mission!

- Oh no, you take it easy Nicky, nothing like that. Just a silly thing really, only she's going to see you for Christmas, your bitter bull boss will take her.

- Really? - A slight change in the red fox's tone was noticeable. - Great! It was starting to get boring here! Funny she didn't say anything to me.

- Oh, you know how females are, I'm sure it was a surprise or something.

- Well now that I know...maybe I should counter surprise her. - A sly smile came across the cadet's face.- Thanks Finn, see ya!

- How cute Carrots! Trying to surprise me... let's let her think she's making it...