Paths Collide

"...our souls may be consumed by shadows, but that doesn't mean we have to behave as monsters."

― Emm Cole,

The day has finally arrived.

Sanaya remained  seated while Avyaan rushed to receive his best friend from the venue's gate. She knows him on a peripheral level, he used to be her senior during her college days. He didn't seem like the type who could kill unlike her soon-to-be husband, whose siren eyes can make a normal person to  fall on their knees to beg for his forgiveness but not her.

Nevertheless, her eyes still searched for those siren eyes in the crowd.

She was looking surreal in that maroon lehenga, she liked the colour. Wildly, her perception of colours laid behind its representation rather than looks. She felt as if she was filling her life with colours that her grey life never held. It felt nice , she wondered. 

Avyaan on the other hand felt emotionless about the whole situation , he is aware that she knows everything about his world except him , his boundaries were safe. His only mission is to keep her far away from himself , he has to. He cannot let another human die with him even if that human happens to be his gravest enemy.

He swiftly walked towards his best friend, Aksh, his savior. Giving him a bone crushing hug , he  whined freely.

"You better get off me buddy , you stink like a rotten rabbit even on your wedding day." Aksh wrenched his round nose with pretended disgust.

'Fuck off man, I missed you." a kick landed on Aksh's stomach along with it.

After endless bickering, they finally start moving towards the stage , weirdly enough Sanaya's presence made the entire place glow.

He knew that he's playing with fire but he's the ice and their can be no amity these two elements of nature.

AVYAAN

My best friend has been there for most of me . He has witnessed every phase of this moon , he had saved me from the pack. I was naive back then, weak too. I got mingled among  the most dangerous humans of my type, let them brainwash me for days after days and years after years. Now, I am all alone , stronger and mightier than them.

Aksh is my right hand, I trust nobody in this world but him. So he had to be here today , the day that might change my life for either the best or the worst. 

He was in Dubai yesterday , running my mafia errands . I was about to lose an important deal because of this silly marriage that I signed myself into but thanks to Aksh , he managed it all quickly and made it to this shitty wedding on time. This is going to be my first and last wedding , I do not plan on wasting anymore of my precious time on such futile things after this, it's just for that deal. 'Divorce' would be the only word stuck on my mind while I stay stuck with this woman for God knows how many days.

''Hi sister-in-law , I'm Aksh , your husband's best friend . I will drop the formals before you say but here's a request I want you to keep on my behalf. Please, make him stop kicking my stomach all the time." he faked a pleading tone , trying to act as innocent as possible. Just to be clear, he is the annoying one. 

My eyes drifted to Sanaya's face who maybe just maybe smiled a little on his lame joke ,maybe it was only a nod.

"Man can't you just keep your mouth shut for a minute. Here Sanaya , let me introduce you to your enemy's right hand. I know you have already dug up his bio data as well but yeah, this is him." I say , with hinting sarcasm. 

She never replied back, just gave me a look and stormed off to my mother.

Her eyes held something unsettling , something I see only inside myself.

We wanted to get over the wedding as soon as possible henceforth, we decided to settle with a simple wedding and reception on the same day. There was only our families and some of her friends from the hospital.

The reception part was still going on, we should be able to  wrap everything  up by one hour. What a tiresome yet worthless day.

past:

              "Mom, why can't i go outside and play? MOOOMMM."

"It's full moon day, son. You can't go outside , demons will kill you ."

"But mom, Sekhawat uncle said that I can fight all the demons because I'm the prince of this empire."

"Yes you can but not today, today is just not your day , my son."

"But mom, I love the moon. It's like my favorite sun lamp but so calm and alluring ."

"My child, life is very cruel. It robs you of everything that you love."

present:

I am a thriving business man and the prince of this empire as well as the underworld. A successful man in everyone's eye but only I know how it feels like to keep on living everyday. I starve for revenge everyday, igniting the fire of hunger in me to such an extent that even I won't be able to turn it down. 

"Avyaaannnnnn" 

I heard a shrill scream before everything turned pitch black.

-847 words.