1.

"There should be no talking to the Fanuccis, no looking at the Fanuccis,and unless necessary-no breathing near the Fanuccis.""""

With my hands perfectly behind my back, I paid attention to the stricthead maid of the huge mansion.

"You are here to work!" The woman named Madam Catherina spoke clearly. My Eyes wandered to the other newly recruited maids. A small group of ten.None of them looked younger than twenty-four, meaning I had to be the youngest.

The mansion belonged to one of the most feared men in the city, Domenico Fanucci. Although he tried covering his tracks behind a family vineyard and brewery, everyone knew him as one of the most ruthless and notorious mafia bosses.

His son had quite a reputation in the city as well, and it was not a good one. There was the youngest brother, Dante, known for his playboy ways, the middle child, Gian, known for his lack of manners, and at last,the oldest, the heir-Alessio, known for his hideous temper, cold aura, and handsome looks.

The youngest and only daughter, Melody,was a six-year-old firecracker,nicknamed the princess of the house,and apparently, she was difficult to handle.

She seemed the complete opposite from my daughter of the same age.

I didn't take Madam Catherina's words lightly. There was a reason why she had told us all of this, and truthfully
-I didn't want to find out.

"Every single thing that reaches your ear and wasn't supposed to will stay within this mansion," she continued."Don't forget the non-disclosure agreement, you have all agreed to sign.Follow the rules.

"And what if we don't?" one woman beside me, dared to ask.

A chuckle escaped from Madam's lips,followed by a heavy sigh. "Well then,I suppose we'd be sending you back where you came from... In a body bag."She muttered.

"Nothing!" Madam, she clapped her hands."Now, back to your posts, everyone! I expect everything to be impeccable.Remember, perfection is the standard here!"

With a damp rag in my hand, I scrubbed the marble floors. Looking at the clock,I could not believe it had only been

One hour. The time seemed to move in slow motion.

My back ached as I worked myself to the bone, but I didn't stop. Madam Catherina had eyes everywhere, and losing this job was the last thing I needed at the moment.

My focus was interrupted when a maid from the opposite end of the hallway began sweeping the floor toward me. It was a new face, one l had not seen with the recruits from earlier.

The blonde maid showed me a soft smile, and I hesitantly gave her one in return. Interacting with new people has never been my strong suit.

I wasn't shy, not at all. I was just a

strong believer that fewer faces meant

Less drama.

"Hey there," the maid lowered herself to the floor, breaking the silence.
"I'm, Liza.!"

"Jimena," I introduced myself, wringing the rag in my hand. "But you can call me Mena."

"So, how's your first day going?
"Liza asked, her eyes full of curiosity.

"Ah, it's... it's alright" I replied,focusing my gaze back on the polished floor. I bet Madam Catherina also had ears everywhere."Have you been working here for a long time?"

"Just a year," she said, a small laugh escaping her lips.
"Feels like forever sometimes, though."

I rolled my eyes before taking a huff.
"I can imagine."