3.

Alessio " I would like to make a toast and an announcement!" Domenico Fanucci got up from his chair, and for some reason I had hoped he wouldn't have. We were at the monthly Fanucci lunch  with the family, and after a few drinks to many, in combination with cigars, Dad could barevy stand up straight.

"Maybe you should sit down, Dom." Grandma tried saving him from embarrassment, but he wouldn't budge. 

Instead, he held on to his chair and raised his glass.

"This old man," My younger brother Dante sook his head, disapprovingly.

"He's so far gone, the only thing left from him  to say are his final wishes for his funeral," My other, Gian spoke 

"Ain't that right, Ales? I mean-look at him!"

I responded with a low hum, staring at my extended family who all anticipated his words. Unfortunately this was nothing new in a family that worshipped him as if he was the lord himself, and rightfully so.

Grandpa Fanucci had come to the country without a single penny, and grandma has followed him with all of their twelve children.

Together with his eldest son, my dad.

Domenic Fanucci , he had managed to build a vineyard from schrach, then a brewery , then a brand
, then some more bures business , both legal and illegal , and had somehow grown into one of the largest mafia in the East Cost. 

The Fanuccis ran the city , and everyone in it.  Every nighbornhood , every store , every tile belongs to us  — and it was because of my deceased grandfather , and Domenic Fanucci, that our entire family was blessed with this wealthy lifestyle.

The family had no choice but to follow him.  Respect him.  Listen to him.

"My oldest son, my heir , my legacy! "
Dad began, looking straight at me. 

A small smile appeared on his lips. 
"You should all know that we will soon be starting wedding preparation, as he is to marry  beautiful woman sitting beside him."

My gaze shifted to Maxine Baldini, cluching tightly to my arm like she had won the jackpot.  She was the symbol of the union between two powerful families , actually more of a tool  than a person , but unlike me, she  didin't seem to realize or care.

"Smile, babe,! " she muttered under her breath , her eyes glowing with excitement.  "They're  staring at us. "

"Max,"Gian who sat on my other side whispered , knowing how much she despised that nickname.  "You shoul know by now, he doesn't do smiling
— especially not with you. "

Maxine clicked her tongue , glaring at my brother with hateful eyes, then she pressed a kiss on my cheek, earning several reactions.

Meanwhile , Dad began gushing about the aliance with the Baldinis.

Maxine Baldini wasn't just any women, she was the only child of  Leonardo Baldini, a man who was consedared a rival by my father , and as many called  him — king of the West Coast or the Leone.

This arranged marriage was nothing more than a strategic move to gain more power.  By marrying me of to Maxine.

Dad was ensuring a stronger hold on the territories.  Whether it was  in the West or the East, there would be limited competition and fewer potential threats.

It was good for Maxine, because if not for the  agreement , no man would ever want to marry her, and it was bad for me because  I didn't want to marry at all.

May it be Maxsine or any other woman for this matter.

"This union ," Dad chuckled , raising his glass higher.  "It's what we've  been waiting for.  It's the dream that I shared with your grandfather.  Alessio.