6.

Mena/. /

"We have to hurry , Nat, or you'll be late for school!" I painted , encouraging her as we ran.We were on a tight schedule and had to sprint straight off the bus.

A joyful giggle escaped Naty. We had overslept , and I was all but certain I'd be late for work too. Today was the day of the engagement party, and we had received strict instructions to show up early.

"Come on, Nat-this isn't going to cut it. " I picked her up like a baby,  walking towards the school gates.  Naty who was still having fits of laughter , grabbing
her fingers into the denim jacket with perfectly hiding my uniform.

"Mena, good morning! " a familiar mother from Naty's class spotted  us.

"I can take her inside.  You look like you're in a hurry -go! "

Her eyes were kind, but deep down I knew she pitied me , same as everyone else.

These women saw me as a confused young girl who didn't know how to raise her farthless daughter.
That's the picture  they had already painted before even trying to get to know me. At times I wondered if they would still pity me if they knew I worked at the Fanucci mansion.

"Thanks you! " I spoke in between breaths, placing Naty on her two feet.

"Be good, listen to your teacher , have fun! " I said, pressing a  quick kiss to her forehead.

"I"ll see you later, okey? "

"Okey!" Naty nodded energetically , showing me a toothy smile.

With that , I turned on my heel and ran back to the bus, literally-all while trying not to die due poor condition.

~

When I finally made it to the mansion , I was completely out of breath , so out of breath , you might even say my lungs were burning.  I stood frozen at the gates for a moment , taking in the scene in front of my.

Preparation for the party were already in full swing , and everyone was working.

Also inside the mansion , the halls were filled with workers , scrambling  to finish everything in time.

"Mena! " Liza called out over the chaos,pushing several others  aside to get to me.

"There you are! "

"Am I late? "

"Don't worry , I covered for you with Madam  Catherine.  But you'll  have  to get started right away.

Here, " she shoved a list into my hands.

"It's everything  you'll need to  get done before the party. "

I  scanned the endless list ,  feeling an  uncomfortable knot form in my stomach.

"I"m on it ," I told her , realizing  I didi didn't have time to  waste.

***

As some time passed , and I was busy with my third chore, I slowly accepted was going to be a long day.

I had been working for hours , my legs felt numb , my fingers felt numb , and the pantry I got asigned to was anything but small,  At least I had a bit of privacy.

But it  wasn't for long.

Startled , I stepped back as the young Melody Fanucci  appeared  in the doorway, humming a song. 

She headed straight to the wooden ladder , leanings  against  one of the shelves.

My eyes widened in concern as her small hands wrapped around rugs, trying to climb up.  I was conflicted , unsure whether to interfere or not-but as a mother myself, I couldn't watch this child risk her life like that any longer.