5.

Alessio/./

"Ales, what are you smilling about? " Mom questioned, referring to the small but evident mirk on my lips.

I was in the backyard, trying to enjoy the little spare time I had, but as always, it didn't last long. 

Giulia Fanucci was a curious woman, always up to date with everything going on around 'her mansion' as she liked calling it.

Unlike Maxine, Mom actuslly did hit the jackpot when she met Dad-and she was well aware.

Not a day gone by she wouldn't tell at least one person the story about how she met him. Back then, her credit card declined, and Dad was there to save the day-but don't get it twisted. It was not her fault but the shops. According to Mom, the last part was very crucial detail.

"It's nothing, Ma," I replied, trying to hide the clear satifaction on my face. A smilling Alessio wasn't something that happened often, but I had my reasons.

My plan was falling into place perfectly, and if everything kept moving this way, I wouldn't have to marry Maxine. That  alone was worth a smile.

Her father, Leonardo Baldini's outburst was something I had kept in mind, and that's why I decided to confess my false feelings for the maid by breaking off my engagement to Maxine at the party.

There would be many people.

The other families would be present, but also the Mayor, various associates, and well-know inportant figures. They were all people standing behind the Fanuccis. If Leonardo Baldini had a  conscience, he would take his daughter and walk away.

Mom studied me for a moment, not believing a word I said.

"Are you excited about the engagement party tomorrow?"

"Oh, yes. Very," I replied, putting as much false enthusiasm into my voice as I could. I bet it was the same for Mom. 

I could tell she could see right through Maxine's inposter behavior, but as the wife of Domenico Fanucci, she was tempted to play her role.

Despite her resentment towards Maxine, I feared even Mom wouldn't want me to marry a maid. She would vouch for me, tell Dad to let me go my way-but only to get rid of Maxine.

"So beasts do get married after all" 

a young voice interrupted the moment. I looked down at my six-year-old sister, Melody, standing with her hands on her hips and a sassy smirk on her lips. Besides her was her friend. imitating her every move. 

Melody was one of kind. That kid had enough personality to fill a room and keep everyone on their toes, including me.

"Beast?" I growled like a monster, chasing after Melody and her friend just long enough for them to run away in complete horror.

Mom laughed, shaking her head. 

"At one point you'll need to stop bullying someone old enought to be your daughter, Ales.

"She took a sip from her glass, grinning at her own words.

"I'II stop bullying her when she stops bullying me."

I loved my mom. Our bond was something I cherished deeply. She had been my rock, my person, my everything. Her word was the law, and most of the time, I had no problem listening to her.

I reached into my pocket to pull out a pack of cigarettes. Before I could light it up, Mom extended her hands to stop me from doing so.

"Nuh uh, not with your sister present," Mom peeked through her sunglasses.