First game of the season

-Gem-

The players were lined up on the pitch for girls' rugby. The coach (the Scarlet moon) had got the girl's in a huddle and was saying something, probably hyping them up. This game wasn't a major one, but it'd give them a head start, that's for sure.

Gem shivered in her scarf, wondering if she should've bought a giant puffy jacket and a blanket. It was cold and damp, despite the heavy rain having dulled down to a light sprinkle.

The roof above the seats on the pitch provided at least some shade, however the same couldn't be said for the dripping players and coaches.

Gem felt sorry for the people playing, who were getting in position as the mud squelched beneath their boots.

She felt sorry for Katherine and False and everyone else, but definitely not Shelby. Moons never change.

She glanced over at where Joel and Lizzie were paying no attention to the game, kissing each other on the cheek and sharing a scarf, and where Jimmy and Scott were flirting with each other. Even Pix was more focused, reading a novel about the history and instructions of how to play rugby and wedging a banner that said 'Go Imperiya!' into the crack between his seat and the seat beside him.

Maybe she did feel a tiny bit sorry for Shelby.

'GEM?' Sausage waved a hand in front of her face.

'Jeez Sausage, what?' Gem asked, returning to the earth.

'Can I have two pounds for a bag of crisps, a cookie and a coke after the match?'

She sighed and handed the money over. 'I guess I do owe you for that one time you paid for my book.'

Sausage did a little celebration and Fwhip laughed.

Joey was cheering 'GO KATHERINE MY GIRLFRIEND!' which Katherine was blatantly ignoring.

The match whistle startled Gem and she nearly toppled off her seat. With Fwhip and Sausage laughing, she resumed her match-watching, sitting at the edge of her seat.

-Katherine-

Mud was everywhere.

There was no doubt about it. The rain began to clear up, but the mud did not go away. She gritted her teeth as the timer ticked down and she passed the ball to Shelby.

She watched Shelby run up the pitch. She looked so prett- cool. She looked so cool.

10... 9...

WHAM!

The crack of something could be heard as someone tackled Shelby to the side, leaving them gasping for air.

4... 3...

Katherine no longer cared about the match.

2... 1...

A cacophany of cheers came for the other team as Katherine sprinted faster than she ever had before to get to Shelby.

The other girls made it there first, Katherine pushing them aside to check on her friend.

More than a friend?

She told her brain to shut the fuck up.

-Shubble-

'What was that!' one of the team members grumbled angrily. Shelby recognised them as one of the people who would make fun of her for liking girls and boys when she first told some friends and others somehow found out.

Well jokes on them, they were playing rugby, which is the gayest sport of all time.

Shelby really did not want to get off the floor. She squinted at the air. 'Katherine?' She muttered.

'C'mon. Can you stand?' Katherine asked, hoisting her up. Shelby stood up, her bones aching. She was pretty sure she'd bruised her arms, legs, chest and somehow forehead.

'Why are you helping her?' Another girl on the team asked. They were all sort of friends, and it kind of stung. It wasn't their fault they hated Shelby. Right?

'Don't help that bitch up, she lost us the game!' another person chimed in grumpily. Shelby tried to stand, but a white-hot pain shot up her left leg, causing her to bite her lip until the metalic tang of blood met her taste buds.

The cacophany of the other girls was getting too much for Shelby. The words were ringing in her head, the continuous stream of noise ringing in her head, waves of sound engulfing each other. She fought back the tears threatening to spill. No one cries over rugby. Crybaby.

Crybaby.

Shit.

Shelby tried to stand but failed, landing in the dirt again as the girls laughed, then walked off.

Katherine knelt beside her.

'Shelby, are you okay? She asked.

'No.' Shelby sniffed.

Katherine put her hand on Shelby's wrist, sending shockwaves up her arm.

'Can I bring you to the nurse's office?' Katherine whispered softly.

Shelby nodded.

Katherine picked her up, bridal-style (cause it always is), and walked down the hallway. 

Shelby remembered blacking out at some point, and feeling comforted by the warm voice telling her it would be ok, and someone stroking her hair whilst a doctor probed around her knee.

---

DAMN HAVE I GOT BETTER AT WRITING ROMANCE

idk I felt like some angst