19.Wish You Were Here

19.

I lean against the wind
Pretend that I am weightless
And in this moment I am happy
Happy
I wish you were here
(Incubus-Wish You Were Here)

"She did what?". Andy was incredulous. She, Maya and Vic had decided to have breakfast together and the blonde had told them what her wife had done the day before.

"Are we really talking about Carina? The sweet, kind, nice Carina we all know? Are we sure?" Vic asked.

"Girls, she had her reasons. I should have backed her, not help him leave the hospital." Maya said.

"You did the right thing. Carina could have been fired and you could have lost Keira." Andy told her. The blonde took a sip of her juice and shrugged.

"How is the girl though?" Vic asked, her mouth full of cake.

"She feels better, but it's like she still has to really process her brother's death. Moreover, she doesn't talk about her assault, not even with her therapist."

"Give her time. It's not easy." Andy said. Maya smiled bitterly, glancing at her friend. She remembered the night Andy had been assaulted, she had never felt so powerless in all her life.

"Well, it's better I go. Thank you for the breakfast."

"It's always a pleasure, Bishop, especially when you're the one paying." Vic replied, causing the blonde to roll her eyes. "Say hi to Carina from us!"

"Of course!". Maya said goodbye to her two friends and left the cafe. It wasn't too far from her place, just few minutes walk. When she entered the apartment, Carina was talking on the phone in the living room. Not wanting to disturb her wife she headed to their bedroom and after taking a book she laid on the bed and started reading.

"Hey." Carina greeted her, joining her in bed twenty minutes later.

"Hey." Maya responded, giving her a small peck on the lips. "I'm sorry I left for breakfast, but you were sleeping and I thought you needed to rest."

"Don't worry, bella." Carina reassured her wife. "This way I could phone my therapist. After yesterday I really needed to talk to her.". Maya softly smiled at her and started playing with the brunette's hair, with gentleness.

"How do you feel?" she asked.

"I don't know. I think I need time to process what happened yesterday." Carina answered honestly. "But maybe you all were right, I needed to rest a bit.". Maya chuckled and shook her head, amused. "I know that I have caused you a lot of concern lately." she then said, serious.

"You're going through a lot, Carina. It's completely normal."

"But I've never been so impulsive. I've never... Not since...". Not since Andrea's death, Maya knew she was about to say that. She immediately cupped her face and forced her to look at her in the eyes.

"Carina, listen to me." she started. "I love and I will always love you, no matter what. This means that I am here for you even when you're a bit impulsive, or scared, or just off. And yes, I worried a bit, but because I hate seeing you in pain. I worry because I love you, Carina."