Welcome Home

By the time they had arrived back at the Burrow, the sun had started to rise. The chickens were already coming out of their house, clucking quietly as they strutted along. Fred had touched down a little roughly on the ground. When they came to a halt, they inched their way out of the car, leaving Harry’s stuff behind. They’d get it later. 

Fred made sure that their way was clear when they got into the kitchen door. 

“Okay, c’mon. We’re all clear.”

He allowed them to inch their way inside. Sera went over to her chair at the table and put her hand on the chair’s back. 

“Do you think that it’ll be alright if we have some?” Fred whispered, motioning to the hot cross buns Mrs. Weasley had baked the afternoon before. 

“Yeah! Mum will never know,” George answered, his voice hushed. 

“It's not much,” Ron admitted guiltily. “But it’s home.”

“I think that it's brilliant!” Harry answered, grinning broadly. 

They were interrupted when footsteps thundered down the stairs. A furious Mrs. Weasley came into view. She put her hands on her hips, staring at each of her child with a murderous look. 

“Where have you been?!” she shrieked. In a calmer voice, she added to Harry, “Oh, Harry dear! I’m so glad that see you.” She gave each of her child a stern look. “Beds empty! No note! Car gone! You could have died! You could have been seen! Of course, I don’t blame you, Harry, dear.”

“They were starving him, Mum,” Ron insisted, his mouth full of bread rolls. “They put bars on his windows, they did.”

“Well, you best hope that I won’t put bars on your window, Mr. Ronald Weasley!” Mrs. Weasley threatened, pointing a finger at him. Each boy gave Ron an anxious look. Mrs. Weasley smiled at Harry and spoke more kindly to him. “Come on now, Harry. Let’s have a spot of breakfast.”

Mrs. Weasley dished Harry twice as much, knowing that he was a little malnourished from not eating so much. She showed him the Weasley’s dinner table manners. Sera and Ron caught each other’s eye. Sera rolled hers, shaking her head in disbelief. 

More footsteps thundered down the stairs, and another red-head girl appeared. She had a messy bed head, and her eyes were sleepy-looking, as though she had just woken up.

“Mum. Mummy? Have you seen my jumper?”

“Yes, Ginny, dear,” Mrs. Weasley answered, sounding distracted. She was doing the dishes by now. “Last time I saw it, your jumper was on the cat.”

But Ginny didn’t seem to be paying any attention. She caught sight of Harry and her eyes went wide. Harry noticed. 

“Hello,” he greeted, a little too quickly. 

Ginny backed her way against the stairs before running back up to her room. Fred and George snorted with laughter. Sera shook her head. Harry looked confused.

“W-What did I do?”

“Ginny,” Ron answered a bit bitterly. “She’s been talking about you all summer. It got a bit annoying, really. Although, I think Sera was more annoyed about it than the rest of us were. She wouldn’t stop pestering her about her brother.”

“Now that Harry is officially here, maybe she can stop pestering me around,” Sera grumbled hopefully. 

“What the bloody hell is all this noise?” a new, but familiar voice to Harry, spoke up. 

Sera looked up and smiled when she saw a sleepy-looking Durante Knightley. She had told Mr. and Mrs. Weasley about Dante once they had approached the Weasley family when they got off the Hogwarts Express at the beginning of their summer break. Sera had reassured them that Dante wasn’t actually bad, just highly misunderstood. He had longed for a family that would love him and take care of him like their own.