Baby Hook and Stolen Glances

A wave of excitement washed over Sunny Dale High School as the annual sports season kicked in. Basketball practice intensified, consuming most of Jungkook's lunch hours. Yet, despite the hectic schedule, he never forgot to leave a stash of snacks in their secret room. Every day, Taehyung eagerly awaited the familiar chime of his phone, a sweet reminder that Jungkook hadn't forgotten him amidst the frenzy of practice. Their conversations, though simple, were a lifeline, a way to stay connected throughout the day.

A month remained until the inter-school basketball competition, a highly anticipated event that painted the school spirit red and gold. Today, during the long-awaited lunch break, Jungkook was finally by Taehyung's side. A surge of happiness bloomed in Taehyung's chest, chasing away the loneliness that had settled in during Jungkook's absence.

"I won't be practicing at lunchtime anymore," Jungkook announced, stretching languidly.

Worry flickered in Taehyung's eyes. "Why?" he blurted out, his voice laced with a hint of concern.

Jungkook's gaze softened as he noticed Taehyung's expression. "I'm practicing after school today," he explained. "Wanna come see me play?"

Taehyung's face fell. He yearned to be there, to cheer Jungkook on as he dominated the court. However, a nagging worry gnawed at him. His grandma...

Uncertainty clouded his voice. "Not sure," he mumbled, avoiding Jungkook's gaze.

That day, Taehyung arrived home from school. He saw his grandma making dinner for him and sat down at the table, clutching his phone tightly. His grandma noticed his tense posture and asked in a worried tone, "Tete, is something wrong?"

Taehyung's grandma knew the flip phone was a gift from Jungkook. "Nothing's wrong, Grandma," he said with a forced smile.

His grandma could see through his facade. "Did you have a fight with your friend?" she asked cautiously.

"No," Taehyung replied immediately. "We didn't fight."

Seeing his grandma's concern, he whispered, "He asked me to go with him to basketball practice after school, but I didn't want you to be alone."

His grandma's sudden laughter eased the tension. "That's what had you worried," she said, patting his hair. "Don't worry about me, Tete. Go ahead and text him that you're coming."

Taehyung's face lit up at his grandma's words. He immediately texted Jungkook, saying he'd be there to accompany him.

A few minutes later, he received a text from Jungkook with just the address and the words "Come now."

Taehyung ate dinner and changed his clothes after asking his grandma's permission.

As he was about to leave, his grandma stopped him. "I'd love to meet the person who makes my Tete so happy."

"Sure, Grandma," Taehyung replied, hugging her goodbye.

Taehyung arrived at the address, which turned out to be a basketball court. He saw Jungkook throwing balls and silently sat on a bench, observing him. Suddenly, Jungkook looked back and saw Taehyung. "When did you come?" he asked, huffing and sweating. He jogged over to Taehyung.

"Just a few minutes ago," Taehyung said, handing him a water bottle that was nearby. Jungkook took a gulp and asked, "You know how to play?" while ruffling his own hair.

"I'm not sure," Taehyung mumbled, looking down at his shoes.

Suddenly, Jungkook grabbed Taehyung's hand and pulled him onto the court. "Let me teach you the basics."

Jungkook taught him how to shoot, catch, and more. Taehyung reached for the ball, but struggled to grab it from Jungkook.

There they were, under the moon and stars: one a pro, the other a beginner, both enjoying a game of basketball.

After some time, both sat on the grass, exhausted. Taehyung was too tired to even lift his fingers. He glanced at Jungkook, who was already gazing at him. Silence stretched between them, thick and unspoken. Taehyung's heart hammered in his chest.

The quiet was shattered by the sudden ring of Jungkook's flip phone. He stared at it for a moment before walking a few steps away to answer the call.
Taehyung watched him go. Jungkook returned quickly, ending the call with a hurried goodbye. "Let's go. I'll take you home," he said.

They set off side-by-side, Taehyung stealing glances at Jungkook every now and then. Jungkook caught one of them. "My mom called," he explained.

"You should go home then," Taehyung said, worried. "I can walk myself. You wouldn't want to be late because of me." It took thirty minutes to walk from here to Taehyung's place.

Jungkook smirked. "Nah, I'll just call my driver."

Before they knew it, they had reached Taehyung's neighborhood. The walk seemed shorter now, Taehyung thought, a hint of disappointment mixed with the pleasant exhaustion in his muscles.

"Whoa, what a place," Jungkook remarked, looking around at the darkness. Taehyung lived in a remote area, a stark contrast to Jungkook's world.

Taehyung chuckled at Jungkook's reaction. "It's cozy."

They arrived in front of Taehyung's house. "This is it," Taehyung muttered, a hint of hope in his voice. He wished Jungkook would stay.

Jungkook saw the unspoken plea in Taehyung's eyes. "Next time," he said apologetically, turning to leave. "Goodnight."

Taehyung returned the farewell, watching Jungkook's figure disappear into the darkness.