Unfamiliar Warmth

The clatter of dishes filled the air as Taehyung prepared dinner for the two of them. He took a spoonful of the Kimchi Tteokguk, tasting it before adding a pinch of salt. A few days ago, he'd declared his intention to pay rent, but Jungkook's response had been a scornful laugh. Embarrassment flushed Taehyung's cheeks. He tried to argue, but Jungkook shut him down.

"Why? I don't want to live here feeling like a burden," Taehyung fumed. He couldn't stand the idea of living there like some freebie, incapable of taking care of himself.

"Taehyung, think about what you're saying," Jungkook countered. "I don't need a penny from you."

Just as Taehyung opened his mouth to reply, Jungkook cut him off. "Be a good boy, Tete," he said, his tone laced with a darkness that sent shivers down Taehyung's spine.

Unable to meet Jungkook's gaze, Taehyung stammered, "I, I... it makes me uncomfortable..."

Jungkook's eyebrows shot up. "How much are you going to pay me, huh?" He stood abruptly from the sofa and loomed over Taehyung. "Go make dinner." With a condescending pat on Taehyung's head, he disappeared somewhere in the dark hallway.

Jungkook was right. There was no way Taehyung's salary could cover rent in a luxurious penthouse. The money he earned working at the restaurant probably wouldn't be enough. With a sigh, Taehyung headed towards the kitchen to make dinner. Finding utensils proved difficult, and Jungkook's freezer was practically empty, containing only expensive alcohol and a pack of Evian water bottles. He improvised, making a simple meal of egg fried rice and soup.

About half an hour later, Jungkook arrived, fresh from the shower. Taehyung set the table, placing plates and serving the food. He felt Jungkook's gaze on him constantly.

Sitting across from Jungkook, Taehyung tried to eat, but the intensity of Jungkook's stare made him uncomfortable. Finally, unable to ignore it any longer, he met Jungkook's gaze directly.

Jungkook took a sip of water and said, "You wanted to pay rent?

Taehyung nodded. "Then cook," Jungkook replied simply.

Taehyung blinked in confusion, muttering, "Huh?"

Since then, Taehyung has been making breakfast and dinner. Jungkook's previously empty freezer was now stocked with a variety of vegetables and meats. Jungkook praised his cooking skills regularly. He wasn't a picky eater, but when Taehyung asked if he had any particular dish preferences, Jungkook simply shook his head, content to eat whatever Taehyung made.

Every day after breakfast, Jungkook dropped Taehyung off at the restaurant and picked him up at night. It was located on the way to Jungkook's office.

Their time together increased. Weekends sometimes involve grocery shopping trips together. Occasionally, after dinner, they would take walks to the park.

Things were going well between Taehyung and Jungkook. Taehyung found himself smiling easily around Jungkook, his face practically glowing, and his cheeks were getting plump. Jungkook would occasionally pinch his cheek playfully, saying, "You're good now." Despite the positive changes, an unease lingered in Taehyung's heart.

Two months had passed since his grandma's surgery, and he'd been living with Jungkook for almost a month now. His grandma is scheduled to be discharged from the hospital in a month, and he has to do something. A sigh escaped Taehyung's lips. He needed to find a new place. How long could he stay in Jungkook's luxurious home?

After his grandma's discharge from the hospital, living here wouldn't be an option. He scrolled through his phone, searching for apartments. A notification popped up – a text from Manager Cha inviting him shopping tomorrow. Tomorrow is Sunday, too. Taehyung had declined his invitations before, but this time, he hesitated.