Whispers of Affection

Life was finally going smoothly for Taehyung. He finished work early, and his grandmother's surgery was scheduled. Occasionally, Jungkook would drop him off at home and initiate conversation with a simple "How was your day?" Taehyung's replies were usually half-hearted. Sometimes, Jungkook would talk about himself and how busy his project kept him. Taehyung would listen intently, rarely offering his own thoughts.

The burden that had weighed him down had finally lifted. He let out a sigh of relief. However, questions lingered in his mind. What would happen after he fulfilled Jungkook's three wishes? Would Jungkook discard him like a used tissue? Or would he stay?

Taehyung stole a glance at Jungkook, who was currently driving. The car was silent except for the soft melody of a song playing - I Think I Love You.

"Remember singing this song at karaoke?" Jungkook asked with a gentle smile.

The memory flooded back to Taehyung. It had been such a wonderful day. How could he forget? He had tried to push everything about Jungkook out of his mind, the little things, the big things. But deep down, his heart wouldn't let him. What would have happened if Jungkook hadn't left him alone that day? He didn't know.

Taehyung sighed and muttered a simple "Yeah" before closing his eyes.

Tomorrow was his grandmother's surgery. He had taken five days off work. Manager Cha had expressed concern, asking if everything was alright.

Taehyung reassured him, "It's just my grandma. Her surgery is tomorrow, and I wouldn't want to leave her alone."

Manager Cha nodded in understanding and granted his leave.

-

Jungkook and Taehyung waited anxiously outside the operating room. Taehyung silently prayed. He found himself biting his lips, making them red and sore.
Suddenly, a hand caught his attention. He looked up to see Jungkook gently pull his bitten lip free. He glanced at Jungkook in questioning gaze.

"Don't bite your lips," Jungkook said calmly. "It distracts me."

Taehyung, slightly annoyed, retorted, "Don't you have project work to attend to? Why are you still here?"

Jungkook turned to face Taehyung, a smirk playing on his lips. "Then who would stay with you? Don't worry, my secretary can handle things."

Taehyung averted his gaze, scoffing mentally. Who was worried? Hah. Suddenly, he heard a chuckle from beside him.

His phone then vibrated. He pulled it from his pocket - it was Manager Cha checking in about his grandma. Taehyung began typing a response. Manager Cha occasionally texted him about this and that, and Taehyung didn't mind it.

"Who are you chatting with?"

Taehyung saw Jungkook peeking at his phone. Irritated, he snapped, "None of your business."

"Doesn't he have any work? Why is he messaging his employees at work hours?" Jungkook scoffed.

Taehyung closed his phone and glanced at Jungkook. "He was asking about Grandma." Taehyung took a deep breath and muttered under his breath, 'Why am I explaining this to him?'

The surgery was a success. They had just transferred his grandma from the operating room to her recovery room.

Taehyung sat vigilantly beside her sleeping form. A ventilator hummed softly as it assisted her breathing. He gently stroked her face, sniffling back tears. "I'm so happy you're okay, Grandma," he whispered.

A hand settled on his shoulder. Taehyung looked up to find Jungkook offering him a handkerchief. He accepted it gratefully and wiped his tears.

"The doctor said she needs to rest," Jungkook informed him. "She should be awake in a few hours. You should grab something to eat, though. You haven't touched anything since morning."

Taehyung nodded, his gaze lingering on his grandma. His eyes then darted to a table where a cheerful bouquet of sunflowers sat. Before he could dwell on it, Jungkook grasped his wrist gently.

"Let's go," Jungkook suggested. "I know a great place to eat."

The restaurant was decorated in a minimalist style, clean lines, and uncluttered tables. Jungkook ordered a few dishes, Agujjim (spicy braised monkfish), Bibimbap (mixed rice with vegetables and meat), and Kongguksu (cold noodle soup).

Taehyung hesitantly picked at his food. He stole a glance at Jungkook, who was watching him with an unreadable expression.

"Um... thank you," Taehyung began, stammering slightly. "Thank you for helping me. I, I..."

Jungkook reached across the table and gently took Taehyung's hand. "There's no need to thank me," he said softly. "Seeing you smile makes me happy."

Something shifted within Taehyung. His heart began to thump against his ribs, a frantic rhythm that made him clutch at his chest. No. This wasn't good. These feelings, these emotions, could be dangerous for him.

Suddenly, a cup of water materialized beside Taehyung's mouth. He looked up to see Jungkook gazing at him with a hint of sadness in his eyes.

"Are you still uncomfortable with me?" Jungkook asked softly.

Taehyung took the cup and gulped down a large mouthful of water. "I'd like to pay for my own food," he mumbled.

"Taehyung..." Jungkook began, but Taehyung cut him off.

"No, Jungkook," he insisted. "You can't keep doing this."

Despite Taehyung's protests, Jungkook paid for their entire meal. Taehyung shot him a frustrated glare, but Jungkook simply smiled and said, "Next time, Tete."

-

Taehyung's grandma was a picture of health. Despite having just come out of surgery a few hours ago, she seemed full of energy and excitement. Her voice filled the room as she excitedly recounted her experience with the friendly doctor and the funny caretaker.

Taehyung couldn't help but smile as he watched his grandma. Her ramblings, like a child's excited chatter, brought him joy. Even Jungkook seemed to enjoy her company, listening attentively as she spoke.

Taehyung watched them, and both were laughing. Taehyung wished for everything to stay alright. He instinctively reached for his phone and snapped a picture. The picture captured his grandma gazing fondly at Jungkook and Jungkook, who turned his gaze towards Taehyung just as the phone clicked. Taehyung, who just unknowingly captured Jungkook's photo too with his grandma.

•─────⋅🥢⋅─────•

•─────⋅⋅─────•

Hi everyone, I apologize for missing the chapter update on Friday. Due to being very busy and feeling physically and mentally drained and also the summer heat making me too tired.
In the meantime, I'll be switching to a Sunday-only upload schedule. Thanks for your understanding!