Seventeen

Monday morning arrived with a rainstorm. I looked out of my window with a defeated sigh. I hated walking to school in the rain. My hair always gets curly and frizzy and it makes my mood ten times worse.

I got dressed and looked through my closet for an extra rain coat.

I found an unfamiliar jacket, so I pulled it out. It took a second of observing to realize that it was Phil's coat, the one he leant me before thanksgiving.

I put it on and smelled the fabric; it still had the scent of his cologne on it. I breathed it in happily, and decided to wear it to school so I could bring it back to him.

I was about to grab an umbrella and head out the door when my phone started ringing. I pulled it out of my pocket and saw that it was Phil.

"Good morning."

"It's raining," Phil said plainly.

"Yes, that's probably why it's so wet outside," I replied sarcastically.

"Do you want a ride to school? I'm giving Cat one," he ignored my sarcastic comment.

"Are you sure? I don't want to be a nuisance."

"You are never a nuisance, my good sir," he responded happily.

"Okay, fine," I chuckled.

I sat on my couch and waited until I heard the honk of Phil's car from my driveway. I grabbed my bag and umbrella and headed out, ducking my head against the rain.

I got in his car quickly, closing the door and sitting back against his warm front seat. "Shit," I whispered.

"Is that my coat?" Phil asked, making me glance down at my outfit.

"Oh yeah, I wore it so I could give it back to you," I mumbled sheepishly.

"Don't worry about it," he gave me a nonchalant wave of his hand. "Keep it, I have several more." I watched him, waiting for him to say, "no, actually give it back," but he just smiled and put the car in reverse. "Put your seatbelt on."

I obeyed, sliding it over my chest and into the lock.

We pulled into Cat's driveway next, and he honked the horn yet again. A grumpy looking Cat stepped out of her house and stomped toward the car.

"Fucking rain," she grumbled as she tossed herself into the back of the car. "Thanks, Phil."

"No problem," he beamed.

---

We arrived at school ten minutes earlier than we usually do, so we hung out in Phil's car for a bit. The heater blasted us with warm air, making me far more comfortable than I would be in the building.

"So, how was your weekend?" Cat asked from the back, sounding much more cheerful than earlier.

"Fine, I just did a lot of homework," I responded.

"Same, I've been studying," Phil replied.

"You guys are so boring," Cat groaned loudly.

"So, finals are coming up," I mentioned, turning to Phil. "We need to study one or two more chapters for chemistry before you are completely ready."

He sighed. "I know. I need to get an A to keep my A in the class."

"Then we'll start studying more rigorously at lunch."

"'Rigorously' is too intimidating of a word." Phil laid his head back against the head rest.

"We will start studying more intently, then," I adjusted the wording, and he smiled.