Twenty-One

"Dan, I know it's Christmas, but you're starting to scare me," my dad spoke through a mouthful of pancakes. "Why are you so happy?"

I wiped the smile from my face. "I'm just glad to be home for Christmas is all," I muttered sheepishly. "It's better than being at the hospital."

"My thoughts exactly," my mom sang. She was dancing around the kitchen to unheard music.

"You're unreasonably happy, too, dear," my dad commented, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Happy is never unreasonable," my mom chirped, and sat down with us at the table.

To be honest, my happiness was a mixture of Christmas and what happened between me and Phil. My parents got me an actual piano, which had to be incredibly expensive. I've played piano my whole life, but I've never had my own until now. And the prospect of going to Oregon in just a few days with Phil makes my heart skip. I'll be with him for the weekend, doing whatever we want, not worrying about who sees us. Plus, I'll get to meet some of his old friends.

"Is that your phone?" My mom asked me. I came back to earth and heard it too, the song that played while Phil kissed me for the first time. I blushed as I pulled my phone out of my pocket.

"Hello?"

"Merry Christmas," Phil mumbled groggily.

"Did you just wake up?" I giggled. "It's almost noon."

"Shh, it's still morning," Phil whispered.

"Merry Christmas to you too, then," I returned, standing up. I was done with breakfast anyways, so I put my plate in the sink and went to my room, where I already made a place for my piano. As soon as I got it, I made my dad help me set it up.

"What'd you get for Christmas?" Phil yawned.

"A piano," I replied happily. "You?"

"I don't know yet, I'm just now waking up," he chuckled. "I didn't know you played piano."

"Well I do indeed play the piano." I flopped down on my bed, staring at the beautiful instrument in the corner of my room where my dresser used to sit.

"Will you play me something?"

I froze, my heart beating quicker. "I don't know, I'm not that good."

"I'm sure you are," Phil insisted.

"Okay," I mumbled. "How about you go and do whatever you do for Christmas, and call me back when you're done."

"Sounds great," he chimed. "I'll talk to you soon."

"Bye," I whispered. Shit. I haven't played in so long, I don't know how rusty I am.

I jumped from my bed and sat down on the bench in front of the piano, and opened the lid. The keys were a little scuffed, seeing as it's a used piano, but it's still gorgeous. I pressed a finger to a key and listened as it let out the most beautiful noise. I hit another note, and smiled.

My fingers started to work on their own, carrying a song I knew by heart into the keys and out into the world. I felt at ease. I didn't know I missed the piano so much.

I heard the door to my bedroom open, and my fingers stopped playing abruptly. My head snapped to the side, and I saw Cat with an enormous smile on her face.

"I haven't heard you play in so long," she gasped, throwing herself down on the floor right in front of the door. "Play some more, please!"

"Do you ever knock?" I barked.

"Play!" She insisted.

I rolled my eyes and started to play another song I remembered by heart. The notes flowed effortlessly out of my fingers, making the tune ease out into the world beautifully. The rhythm made me sway slightly, taking the beat into my body and letting it carry me. The last time I played this song was for Cat three years ago, at a piano shop in the town over. I was so excited when I saw it that I just played whatever, and Cat stared at me with stars in her eyes the entire time. We tried to go back a few weeks later, but the shop had closed down. Cat looked more disappointed than I was.