chapter 14

- (Y/N... are you okay?

Baizhu's voice said softly and (Y/N) reluctantly opened her eyes.

She had been in bed since Yanxin had told her about their father and hadn't talked to anyone except Baizhu, whom she had only exchanged a few short words. Her finger still hurt, despite the painkillers Baizhu had given to her earlier.

- (Y/N)? - Baizhu said again and (Y/N) felt his weight sink near her legs on the bed.

She grunted and Baizhu sighed.

- Please, (Y/N), answer me. - Baizhu said. - I want to talk to you.

- I'm fine. - (Y/N) said hoarsely.

- (Y/N), I think you should talk about it. - Baizhu said. - And you should drink some water. Crying so much will get you dehydrated.

He smiled slightly and handed her a glass of water. (Y/N) looked at him and begrudgingly sat up and took the glass from Baizhu.

-I wasn't crying. - she lied before taking a sip.

- Your eyes are red and your lashes are damp. - Baizhu rolled his eyes. - Don't lie to me, (Y/N).

(Y/N) looked at the green-haired man and he smiled at her.

- Do you want to talk about it? - he asked softly.

(Y/N) sighed.

- I don't know... It's very hard to process. - she said, and blinked. Her eyes were starting to sting.

- Let's go out. - he said and got up.

- Huh? - she blushed.

- I'll buy you something at Wanmin's, c'mon. - he smiled. - We'll go for a walk and you can talk about it.

- O-oh, okay. - (Y/N) mumbled.

"I thought he was asking me to be his girlfriend" she thought flusteredly. " NO, NO! I can't get my hopes up! We're just friends!"

- Wait, let me take a shower. - she said and got up, slowly. - I'm a mess.

Baizhu chuckled and nodded. He thought different, though. To him even her dishevelled hair,  even her tired eyes... 

Even all those imperfections...

Even that, was beautiful to him.

...

- Where are you two going? - asked Yanfei, who was in the kitchen, preparing dinner. 

- Out. - Baizhu said simply.

- Out? - Yanfei raised an eyebrow. - You going on a date?

- No! - the both shouted and blushed.

- Mhm, sure. - Yanfei nodded and kept doing dinner. - (Y/N), be careful, you're still slightly weak.

- She's with me. - Baizhu said. - Don't worry.

Yanfei nodded and the two other went out of the house. 

They walked slowly and in silence. (Y/N) looked sideways at Baizhu and found he was already looking at her with a preocupied face.

- Oh, um, sorry for staring. - he looked away and blushed slightly.

- Oh, no problem. - she said. - Shall we go to Wanmin?

Baizhu nodded and they entered the restsurant.

Baizhu ordered some dim sum for the both if them and they sat on a bench in an uncomfrotable silence.

- (Y/N), I have to tell you something. - Baizhu sighed and looked at her.

- Hm? Yes?

- I overheard your father talking to Yanxin before the ceremony... He... - Baizhu took a deep breath. - He doesn't like the idea of me being your friend. 

(Y/ N) sighed.

- It doesn't surprise me, actually. - She looked at Baizhu. - He doesn't like Ga Ming, as well. Maybe because he thinks Yanxin is gay and actually is in love with Ga Ming.

- Is that true? - Baizhu smiled sideways. - Is he gay?

- No! - (Y/N) rolled her eyes. - At least I think so, as far as I know, he has a crush on Shenhe, that white-haired girl.

Baizhu laughed. 

...

- Are you better now? - Baizhu asked (Y/N) as they walked home.

- Yeah, thanks. - she nodded.

It was getting dark and the sky was reddening by the minute. (Y/N) shivered slightly, it was getting chilly.

- Oh? Are you cold? - Baizhu said.

- A bit. - (Y/N) answered.

Baizhu took off his jacket and gave it to her. She thanked him and the two kept walking towards Baizhu's house.

Suddenly, the sound of a bullet getting shot at them cut the silence like a knife. Baizhu pulled (Y/N) towards him and both fell to the ground, with a yelp of surprise from her. 

- Ugh! Mao, your aim is terrible! - someone snarled.

Baizhu quickly put his body on top of (Y/N)'s to protect her from any other bullets that may come their way. (Y/N) knew that this wasn't the moment for thinking of anything else but survival, but she couldn't help but think how Baizhu's arms felt around her.

- Who are you?! State your name and purpose! - yelled Baizhu.

- I think we already met each other, Doctor. - a familiar voice said and (Y/N)'s stomach tied itself into a knot. 

- Funyun! - Baizhu hissed and swiftly got on his knees, while activating his dendro energy.

- Please, Baizhu, we just need my daughter. - Funyun said with an evil smirk.

- I must apologize. - said Baizhu, getting up. - I'm afraid that's not going to be possible.

- No? - Funyun frowned mockingly. - What makes you think that, young man?

- In case you didn't notice, I am willing to risk my life for her. - Baizhu straightened his glasses and his Vision started shining. 

- Ignorant Archon scum. - snarled Funyun and his Serpent ring started shining as well. - Prepare yourself, boy.

(A/N) I'm not dead, lol.