7

Lucy was upset she couldn't go with Rip today but was glad her dad was going. She was worried about Rip. Lucy wanted to be more help around the ranch so she decided she wanted to go to vet school. Her dad wouldn't have to pay for a vet, which was one less expense he had to worry about. They lived comfortably, the ranch made enough but they weren't making a big profit. So, that's what Lucy was doing today. She drove to the local college in town and applied to the program. She was sure she was going to get in with her history in the medical field and not to mention her last name. After she had finished filling out the paperwork she called Beth to see if she wanted to get lunch. Beth was about to agree but had to go because she had just ran into Dan's wife and ended up spending the day with her to gain some leverage over Dan. Lucy sighed and shook her head. She grabbed herself some lunch and went back to the ranch. She was excited about working with the animals and knew her father would be excited. She pulls up and sees Jamie, her father, and Rip standing in the front lawn. She stepped out of the car and heard her father yell, "you're withdrawing from the race!" Lucy's jaw dropped in shock. This was everything Jamie always wanted and not to mention the power that the ranch needed. She started walking over but stopped when she saw Jamie grab John. "I earned this opportunity!" He cried out, anger seeping through him. Rip noticed Lucy and his eyes trained on her. They went back and forth, John punching Jamie hard. "Dad!" She cried out and ran over to her brother. Rip stepped in front of John before he could go for Jamie again. He sighed when he saw his daughter. "Get off this ranch, Jamie. I don't want to see your face here unless your priorities are this family first." John turned and walked back into the house. Lucy looked at her brother. "Are you okay?" She asked worried and looked at the bruise on his face. Jamie shook his head. "I was doing what he asked. No matter what I do, he's unhappy." Lucy and Jamie both stood up. "Jamie, go get a hotel and cool off," Rip told him. Jamie sighed and pulled Lucy into a hug. "I'm sorry you saw that," he told her gently then went to his car. Lucy watched him drive off before turning to see Rip. "This family is so fucked," she told him. Rip sighed and pulled her into his arms. "Where have you been?" He asked gently, wanting to change the subject from her disfunctional family. "I applied for vet school," she told him. Rip pulled her back and looked at her. "What? Why didn't you tell me?" He asked. Lucy gave him a gentle smile. "You have a lot going on. I have to wait to see if I get accepted anyways." Lucy held onto the sides of his jacket. "How did today go?" She asked carefully. Rip sighed and ran a hand over his face. "Like a shit storm," he said truthfully. Lucy guided him up to the porch and had him sit down. "What happened?" She asked. "Well, Donnie didn't believe me and he got a fish and wildlife officer up here to see the bear. The lady didn't believe me when I told her about the horsefly on her horse. The fly bit it and the horse took off. She got impaled by one of the fence posts and by some miracle she is alive. Now I gotta go back up tomorrow with another officer and Donnie." Lucy was in disbelief. "Wow this is a mess," she said gently. "Well, tomorrow you'll get everything straightened out." She got up and sat in his lap. She leaned down and kissed him gently. He tugged her close as he kissed her back. "This was exactly what I needed," he whispered and Lucy grinned. "Happy I could help."
***
"Well?" Lucy asked anxiously as her father and Rip approached the porch of the lodge. "Everything's fine. All charges dropped. However, we have a new enemy. Donnie ain't on our side anymore." Lucy looked at her father worried. "What are you going to do about it?" She asked him. "I don't know yet." He kissed her head then walked inside the house. Lucy looked at Rip. She smiled gently. "I knew everything would be alright." She walked down to him and wrapped her arms around him. Rip pulled her close. "You're always right, darlin." He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. "Get back to work, Cowboy. I'll see you later."
***
Lucy was lounging on Rip's couch as he walked inside his cabin. "Hi!" She smiled and sat up. "Hi, honey." He took off his hat and boots then approached her. He gave her a kiss. "Your brother's back," he told her. She scoffed, "which one?" She asked. "Kacey," he said and she looked at him shocked. "What? He left Tate and Monica?" Rip shrugged. "I'm not sure but they ain't here from what I can see. Saw him walking down to the bunkhouse." Lucy was in shock. "He hates it here? Why on earth would he want to start helping out around here now?" She didn't like the idea of Kacey being back. She loved her brother, but it made her feel uneasy having him back. "I don't like how this is looking," she told Rip. "Well, honey, neither do I, but there isn't anything I can do about it." Rip opened a beer and walked back over to the couch. Lucy sighed. "Hopefully my brother is not getting any stupid ideas in that head of his." She grabbed the beer from Rip, taking a sip, then stood up to head into the kitchen to start on their dinner. Rip sat on the couch and admired Lucy in silence. He smiled at the way her dark hair was pulled into a messy bun, at her concentration face as she chopped up the vegetables. Lucy was everything he wanted. He fought the urge to bring up her moving into the cabin with him, not sure if it was the right time. He knew Lucy was going to have a lot on her plate with this new school and her family always having a problem that needs taken care of. Rip also couldn't help but fear that this cabin wouldn't be his for much longer. With Kacey being back, if permanent, Rip knew his boss wasn't going to allow his son, the heir to the ranch, to sleep in the bunkhouse. Rip let out a sigh and took a big swig from his beer, pushing the thought to the back of his mind. Rip got up and walked over to Lucy. "Have I ever told you that you are the most beautiful thing I have ever laid eyes on?" He asked and Lucy laughed. "I think once or twice," she teased and turned her head to plant a kiss on his lips. Rip relished in the feeling, hoping deep down he will be able to give her a home of her own one day. A home that they can build together.