11

John released his daughter from his embrace. "I'm proud of you for putting the ranch first. I need you here." Lucy got her acceptance letter in the mail that morning for the vet program at the local college. Lucy gave her father a smile. She knew he'd be glad she was putting the ranch first, but she had hoped he would have told her he was proud of her for setting new goals and doing something new with her life. "Thanks, daddy." She kissed his cheek as she got up from the breakfast table. She went down to the barn with her father and Kayce. Lucy saw Rip and the cowboys already on their horses in one of the pens. Her father and Kayce stopped to discuss some things. Lucy walked over to Rip. "Morning," she said gently. "Hi, honey. How'd you sleep?" Lucy let out a laugh. "Like shit," she answered bitterly and reached a hand out to pet his horse. Rip watched her through his sunglasses. "Yeah, me too," he replied. Lucy remembered why she came down here and her face brightened. "I want to see you later. We have to celebrate!" Rip chuckled. "Why's that?" He asked. "Because you're looking at a future vet student!" She beamed. A smile graced Rip's features. "Darlin' that's wonderful! I knew you'd get in!" He reached down and squeezed her hand that was petting the horse. Lucy squeezed his hand back. She pulled away as Kayce rode over to the group. "I'll see you later," she told him gently. Rip nodded. "I love you," she mouthed to him and Rip winked back, letting her know he loved her too. She gave him a small smile and walked out of the pen, shooting Kayce a look as she exited past him. She glanced at her father as she walked by. "I hope he lives up to your expectations," she threw over her shoulder. John chuckled lightly and shook his head. "Me too," he blew into the air.
***
Lucy had gone into town to pick up her textbooks since she starts school next week. She also had stopped at the hospital to resign from her position. Lucy was going to be too busy with school and she wanted to start helping out at the ranch more to see how they operate. She was going to miss the hospital, but she was excited for change. As she pulled back up she noticed Rip outside the barn cleaning and refilling the water troughs. She parked and walked down to him. "You liking this deal you made? You like letting Kayce take over the ranch so you can go back to picking up shit? Lowman work?" She questioned and leaned against the barn, watching him. "Baby, you could go get a job at any other ranch, be foreman!" She hated seeing him not being treated as he should. "I don't mind doing lowman work. Everyone started somewhere. And I ain't leaving, Lucy. This is my home." Lucy scoffed. "Look what loyalty has given you," she said. Rip looked at the views around them. "Yeah, it's awful ain't it." Lucy shook her head and sighed. "You know what I mean," she said and stood in front of him. "I do. But, I ain't going anywhere. I'm not leaving. This is my home and this is where you are." Lucy smiled gently at him. "I love you," she said and cupped his face. Rip smiled. "I know you do. I love you more than anything." He leaned down and kissed her softly. Lucy melted against him and he pulled her close. "Let me get back to work, beautiful. We keep kissing like this, I'm going to abandon my duties," he teased and Lucy chuckled. "I'm tempted to keep kissing you then." Rip patted her hip. "I'll come see you later tonight, alright?" Lucy nodded. "I can't wait," she grinned cheekily and walked away. Rip took a deep breath as he watched her figure. He shook his head and got back to work.
***
Lucy was cleaning her bedroom and bathroom when her phone started ringing. It was Ryan. "Yeah?" She answered. "A can of bear spray went off and Jimmy got it in his eyes. What do we do?" Lucy sighed not surprised that it would be Jimmy of all people. "Rinse his eyes with water and have him lay down with a cold rag over his eyes. If it isn't better I'll come look at it." Ryan thanked her and they hung up.
***
Lucy sat at the dinner table and was shocked when her father asked them how their day was, not just asking what they did that day to benefit the ranch. Lucy looked at him and could see the regret on his face for not taking more of an interest in his children throughout the years. Lucy's gaze shifted when she saw a figure out of the corner of her eye. It was Jamie. A look of shock and then happiness crossed her face. "I withdrew from the race," he said. Lucy shot him a sad smile, but was happy her family was together, just missing Monica and Tate. "Sit. Eat," her father encouraged him. "I'll make you a plate," Lucy said and stood grabbing the plate from her big brother. He smiled at her. "Where you been?" Kayce asked causing Beth to break out into laughter. Lucy sighed and handed the plate she made back to her brother. It hurt her to see her family together, but everyone a million miles apart at the same time. She solemnly sat back down, her appetite lost. John took in each of his children, landing on Lucy last. The look she had, was how he felt inside. He felt like a failure. He kept himself composed and went outside. He stood in the yard and noticed Rip still out working. John shook his head and looked up at the sky. He felt tears pool as he muttered, "damn you for leaving me."
***
Lucy had excused herself from the table a few minutes after her father left. "I'm glad you're back home," she had told Jamie before left. Lucy was in her bedroom, freshly showered, impatiently waiting for Rip to sneak in through her window. She rolled her eyes as the thought of him sneaking in through Beth's bedroom window crossed her mind. "Get over it," she told herself. She jumped as the tapping on the window snapped her out of it. She opened the window, allowing Rip inside. "Hi," she said gently. Rip placed a kiss on her lips. "Hi, honey." He took his boots and hat off while she closed the window. "How was your day?" She asked him as she sat on her bed. "It was alright. Your dad or Jamie mention anything about today?" He sat on the edge of the bed, placing her feet in his lap. She shook her head as he began massaging them. "No. Why?" She looked at him curiously. "Just some men that came to see your father. They didn't like what he had to say. Don't know if we should worry about em or not." Lucy sighed. Rip always talked very briefly about situations that happened, not wanting her involved. She didn't have the energy to try and pull more information out of him. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the foot rub. "I'm proud of you," Rip broke the silence and Lucy opened her eyes. "For what?" She asked and he smiled. "For deciding to do something knew and getting accepted." Lucy smiled. "Thanks. Dad was proud too but because I'm giving my life up to devote to the ranch." Rip sighed and stilled his hands. "You promise me that this is really what you want," he said and looked into her eyes. She nodded. "It is. I want to live on my family's ranch and be involved. I just wish that my father would stop putting the ranch before his own children." Rip got up and sat on the bed next to her. "I understand where you're coming from. But, I also know you're dad is so scared to lose this place." Rip reached over and held her hand. Lucy nodded. "I know but I won't let him and neither will you." "Damn right, honey." Lucy smiled and sat up. "Enough. It's time to celebrate my success!" Rip grabbed her, pulling her onto his lap. "Let's celebrate then," he pulled her down, kissing her passionately. After their love making session, Lucy laid beside him panting, "That was amazing." Rip chuckled, pulling her into his arms. "You feel celebrated?" He asked. "Very," she replied. Rip kissed her head. "Good." Rip held her as she fell asleep in his arms. He thought about how she said she wanted to live on the ranch and be involved. He felt hopeful about their lives together, knowing that as long as he had her he'd die a happy man.