14

Lucy woke up to someone placing kisses on her face. She slowly opened her eyes and smiled sleepily when she saw Rip. "Mornin,'" he whispered and placed a kiss on her forehead. "Good morning," she said quietly and pulled him down into her. She closed her eyes as she inhaled his scent. Rip wrapped his arms around Lucy and held her close to him. "How'd you sleep?" He asked as he brushed some of her hair back. "Pretty good." She moved so she was closer to him but froze as she felt the nausea bubbling. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Rip felt her body tensing under him. "You alright?" He asked, concern etching his features. She nodded and relaxed after a minute when it subsided. She looked up at him and smiled gently when she saw the worry in his eyes. "What was that?" He asked and cupped her cheek. "Just got nauseous for a second," she said gently and placed a kiss on his palm. He looked at her with worry still. "Are you sick?" He asked. She shrugged. "Probably just need to eat," she answered him and got a nod in return. She cuddled back into him and enjoyed the peacefullness. "I wish we could stay here forever and never have to deal with people and their problems again." Rip let out a chuckle and tugged her closer, giving her body a light squeeze. "That sounds like heaven, darlin'." Lucy looked up at him and he leaned down, kissing her gently. She relaxed into the kiss, wrapping her arm around his neck. "This is heaven," she whispered and Rip smiled against her lips. "It sure is," he whispered back and kissed her again.
***
Rip had brought Lucy to cloud nine before he had to go work. Lucy had been worn out from their activities and fell back asleep. When she woke up she felt sore in a good way and was starving. Lucy decided to start with a warm shower then got herself ready for the day. She went down to the kitchen and made herself something to eat. The house was empty and from what she could see it looked nice out so she decided to go down and see what the wranglers were up to. She smiled as she saw Jimmy staying on a bucking horse. Rip was walking over to her and they approached the pen together. "Hey! Did you guys see that?!" Jimmy asked them excitedly. Lucy smiled and nodded. "You could win some money!" She encouraged him. Rip wrapped an arm around her. "You better be careful, Jimmy. We don't need your ass in the hospital, you hear?" Jimmy swallowed hard and nodded quickly. Lucy smiled amused at the effect Rip had on the men. She leaned into him and sighed gently. "You okay?" He asked and looked down at her. She nodded. "Lucy!" Jamie's voice called out. She sighed and turned to look at her brother. She became worried at how scared and stressed he looked. "What happened?" She asked worried and could see the blood shot eyes and took notice how his hands slightly shook. She grabbed his arms and he almost started crying again. "Jamie?" She asked worried. She felt Rip walk up to them and place a hand on her back. He looked up at them. "I-I messed up. I need help. I-I..." Jamie swallowed hard and raked his fingers through his hair. He started crying. "Jamie, what happened?" Lucy asked again and grabbed her brother's arms. He looked into Lucy's eyes and whispered, "I killed her." Lucy froze and Rip pulled Lucy back towards him. "Go up to the house," he told Lucy. Lucy turned around to look at Rip. "But-" and Rip shook his head. "You already know too much. Go, honey." She could see the pleading look in his eyes and knew that arguing was going to make the situation worse. She nodded and looked back at her brother. "Everything is going to be alright, okay?" She tried to get through to Jamie. He nodded urgently. "I'm sorry," he told her. Lucy gently squeezed his arm and with one last look back at Rip, she went back up to the house to wait for them. Once she was out of view, Rip glared at Jamie. "What the fuck were you thinking?!" He growled and Jamie jumped and took a few steps back. "I-I wasn't thinking! She was..she was going to publish it anyways. It...it was the only way I could stop her.." he rubbed his face. Rip sighed and shook his head. "Don't you bring Lucy into this anymore, you understand me?! It's bad enough you told her you killed someone. She ain't supposed to know anything that happens around here." Rip grabbed Jamie by the arm, dragging him towards their vehicles. "Bring me to the body," Rip ordered.
***
Lucy waited a few solid hours before Rip met her on the front porch of the main house. "Is everything okay?" She asked worried. Rip nodded and laid his hands on her shoulders gently. "It's taken care of. But, you don't know anything about it. You were not with me when Jamie came to get me. You were in the house eating a late breakfast." Lucy looked up at Rip slightly puzzled, but she began to catch on to what he was telling her. "I haven't seen Jamie since the other night. I slept in this morning and had a late breakfast," she repeated back. Rip nodded and placed a kiss on her forehead. "Good, honey, real good. I don't think anyone will come here asking questions, but if they do, that's your answer." Lucy nodded. "Does daddy know?" She asked curiously and Rip sighed. "Stay out of it, Lucy." She sighed, "alright." Rip pulled her into his arms. "I need to finish up a few things with the wranglers. When I get done, do you want to run into town and grab a bite to eat?" A smile spread on her face. "Yes! Burgers sound so good." Rip nodded and placed a gentle kiss to her lips. "Hurry back. I'm starving!" Lucy laughed as she watched Rip's retreating figure. She went back into the house.
***
Lucy and Rip had just gotten back to the ranch after having burgers and ice cream in town. They pulled up past the barn and saw Walker with his bag standing outside. "Is he leaving?" Lucy asked confused. Rip looked over to see Walker. He pulled the truck up in front of the man. "You goin somewhere?" Rip rolled down the window and asked him. "You bet your ass. Anywhere will be better than this place." Lucy was curious. "And why is that?" She asked him. Rip shot her a look. "Stay right here. I'll drop you off at the train station." He put the truck in reverse after Walker gave a silent nod. Rip started driving up the house. "Where is this train station you keep talking about?" She asked confused. "Don't worry about it, darlin." The fact that Rip wouldn't give Lucy an answer rubbed her wrong. "Rip, where is the train station?" She asked, having no clue of what it really meant. "Stop, Lucy!" Rip said sternly as he pulled up at the lodge. Lucy looked at him shocked, surprised he raised his voice at her. He sighed. "I'm sorry. I just need you to stop asking questions." Lucy scoffed. "Oh okay. I'll just be a good little girl and shut the fuck up." Rip shook his head. "Come on, Luce." She held her hand up. "No, I get it." She got out of the truck and slammed the door. She barged into the house and froze as she saw her father staring at the tv, it showing a report on Sarah's death. Lucy felt sick to her stomach. She took off to the bathroom, throwing up her dinner. John turned at the commotion. "Lucy!" He went after her and crouched beside her. "Are you alright?" He asked worried. "The news.." Lucy trailed out in between her heaving. John sighed and looked at his daughter. "What do you know?" He asked her. She just shook her head and wiped her mouth. "Nothing," she told him but John saw straight through that. "Dammit, Lucy! Tell me." She shook her head again as John helped her up. "Rip told me to say I haven't seen Jamie since the other night. I woke up late this morning..." John sighed and ran a hand over his face, understanding that Lucy was aware of what happened and that Jamie killed the reporter. "Good. You keep saying that. Let me go find your brother. Are you okay?" He looked at his youngest worried. Lucy nodded. "I'm alright. I'm gonna go to bed. Goodnight, daddy." John kissed her head. "Get some sleep, honey."