Into Clarines

The ship reached the mainland at around sunset, and Cinder lead me off. I could hear the whispers and scared silence of those who I passed with Cinder leading me. I knew they were scared, but I never was when I was with Cinder. However, it's hard to say the same for people who see a wolf leading a blind young lady.

Man: "Look at that thing, it probably wouldn't hesitate to bite us." I heard one person comment.

Woman: "I can't believe she isn't scared of it. What a crazy lady!" I heard another say.

Older Man: "Seems rich people can get anything nowadays." Another whispered.

I wasn't actually blind, but I had my own reasons for acting as such. Cinder was a trusted friend, there for me after I got separated from my family. A long story cut short, I've lived in the wilds of the kingdoms ever since I lost them. The reason I've named him Cinder is he led his pack to grab me from the crackling wood pile that I once called home. The day the fire started...the day my family was gone...the day I was alone. That's the day Cinder and I properly met.

He has been beside me ever since, leaving his pack in order to keep me out of harms way. In the end, I found comfort in the wild, learning valuable knowledge many may not know. My plan is to share it with the world when the day comes. For now, I must stay hidden, as I'm still on the run.

Hanaki: "Cinder, come here." I said hand outstretched, unable to see with the blindfold on.

I heard gasps as many saw him turn to me, placing his head in my hand. I then pointed to the ground then to myself, which he licked my hand, signaling it was safe to kneel down. I knelt for a short while, most likely ruining my dress in the dirt, but I had to show him what I'm looking for and where we need to go. I felt a tuft of grass and let him sniff it. He understood and we headed for a nearby herbs shop in town. I felt the leash in my hands loosen knowing Cinder had stopped.

Guard: "Apologies m'am, you can't enter the shop right now. Especially not with such a dangerous animal." They said, most likely staring down at Cinder.

I nodded and had Cinder guide me somewhere safe to sit down. There was a nearby clearing of trees behind me, I could tell based on the leaves that rustled in the breeze. It wasn't long before I heard Cinder whine.

Hanaki: "What's wrong Cinder?" I asked, concerned about my friend.

I reached my hand up and felt three licks. We had a system where during certain situations he would lick my hand a number of times for a certain meaning. One: yes, two: no, three: someone's coming, four: enemy, five: friend. Someone walked towards us and I signaled for him to lay down.

Their footsteps began to get closer as I heard a guard argue with a woman. The footsteps stop in front of me.

Hanaki: "If I may ask, who is it that is so brave to approach me?" I spoke, knowing someone was before me.

Shirayuki: "I'm Shirayuki M'am, I apologize for the guards keeping you out of the shop." She said, brave and curiously.

I smiled warmly towards the direction I heard the voice.

Hanaki: "Don't worry about it, I understand why." I said, Cinder moving over seeing me struggling to get up.

I heard the footsteps back away a bit, but they stopped not to far away.

Hanaki: "You're very brave for approaching me. He won't hurt you, I promise, he's a good boy." I said, standing, finally petting Cinder's head. "You can pet him if you like, you'll know he likes you when you see his tail wag." I said calmly.

I heard footsteps walk closer, still cautious and skeptical, but brave. I removed my hand from his head. Moments later I felt a consistent smacking on my leg.