The Test

I woke up the next morning to Shirayuki there to change my bandages. She had closed the curtains by the window, keeping prying eyes from looking in. She then sat beside my bed, grabbing some medicine for me that day.

Shirayuki: "Alright, let's get this do-" I quickly hugged her, happy to finally feel like I belong.

Hanaki: "Thank you for everything Shirayuki, I'm truly grateful that I met you." I said, seeing her smile at me as I smiled back, that conversation with Kiki still fresh in my mind.

After she changed my bandage, she opened the window, greeted quickly by Obi.

Obi: "Good morning, Miss." He said to Shirayuki, spotting me behind her, Cinder coming out from beneath the bed. "How's Miss Hanaki healing?" He asked, Shirayuki smiling at him as he climbed through the window.

Shirayuki: "I was actually just about to bring that up." She said, sitting on my bedside, staring at me. "Good news, the arrow wasn't as damaging as we originally thought. You're almost completely healed, and if I had to guess, you should be able to leave tomorrow." She said, me hearing a knock at the door, royal guards Kai and Shiira appearing as Shirayuki opened it.

Kai: "Hey Shirayuki, we're here to take Hanaki to her test." He said, Shirayuki giving the guard a worried look, before turning back to me. "She's better...right?" He said, seeing me still in my bed.

Shirayuki: "Well I don't-" I stood up suddenly, Obi looking confused as I walked over to grab my bag, heading towards the door.

Hanaki: "Shirayuki, I will be careful, if I don't do this, I lose everything I've worked for." I said, my hand on her shoulder, looking into her eyes. "Please, let me do this." I said, her sighing in response.

Shirayuki: "Alright, but Obi has to be nearby just in case of emergency." I nodded, Cinder about to follow me out the door, when the guards stopped me.

Shiira: "I'm sorry Hanaki, but his highness has requested you leave your wolf here while you take the test." He said, handing me some clothes. "He also asked that you change into these garments beforehand." He said, me having Shirayuki and Obi leave, changing into the garments meant for a stable boy.

Well, this is humiliating.

I then left the window open, signaling to Cinder what was happening today and everything else. After that, I left Cinder in the room, following the guards and Obi to my test. I was taken to the stables, meeting the stable master outside, hearing a mare neighing in the stable.

Obi: "That doesn't sound good." He commented, me quickly realizing what was going on.

Hanaki: "Obi, unless I'm injured, don't step foot in there, got it?" I said, seeing his confused expression. "Trust me, you don't want to see what I might have to do today." I said seriously, the guards waiting outside the stables while Obi relaxed in a tree nearby.

I walked into the stables setting down my bag, recognizing the mare who was currently in labor. I saw a man, with broad shoulders, dirty blonde hair, and a beard. He looked to be about 30 - 40 years old. His voice was deep and gruff.

Bernard: "It's nice to meet you, the names Bernard. I'm the stable master for the castle and I'm sorry we couldn't meet under better circumstances." He said, me nodding and greeting him in return.

I quickly grabbed some jars from my bag of specific herbs. I quickly grabbed a ribbon from my bag, tying my hair back.

Hanaki: "She's in labor. I need you to answer any and all of my questions as best you can, alright?" I said, hearing him say yes in response.

I took a deep breath, preparing my questions.

Hanaki: "Is this the first time she has foaled? How long has she been in labor? Did any previous births have complications? What's the quickest way to calm her down?" I asked, the man sighing.